Last updated on: September 19th, 2023
Legal California Sports Betting Sites In 2023
There is no surprise that legal California sports betting sites in 2023 have quite the following. Betting sites that accept California players make it possible to bet on sports using your phone, laptop, or really any device with internet connection. Compared to online sports betting in California, land-based sports betting is behind. In the meantime, online sportsbooks offer the best legal sports betting lines in Cali. With betting action on all California teams, you will find what you are looking for. See why these legal California sportsbooks have already positioned themselves above any future sportsbooks in the Golden State.
- Two sports betting ballot propositions to bring legal California sports betting to local casinos qualified for the 2022 ballot but were both voted down by residents.
- Despite the outcome of these, using online California sportsbooks like Bovada are legal and available to all residents and visitors.
Is Bovada Legal In California?
Bovada is legal in California and Bovada will take California players without question. Serving California since the 90s, Bovada has proven to be a top legal sports betting site in California for over 20 years. There is no record of troubles when using Bovada in California. Bovada specifically accepts CA residents in their TOC, and no California sports betting laws restrict using it. For more on the leading online sportsbook in California, head over to our complete 2023 Bovada sportsbook review.
Bovada has been known for years as the top online sportsbook in California since launching. They offer some of the best odds, best promotions, and are easy to use. Signing up for them is also a breeze as you will be betting within minutes of registering. You can also take advantage of one of the many bonuses that they have to offer that are compatible with normal credit and debit cards along with cryptocurrencies.
- Fast Deposit Connection
- Online Live Betting Suite
- Mobile Betting Capabilities
- Trustworthy Customer Service
- Exclusive Prop Builder
Is BetOnline Legal In California?
One area where BetOnline thrives is in the mobile betting department. You can access BetOnline in California from any smartphone with internet or Wi-Fi. iPhone, Android, Samsung, or Google device – it all still operates. This makes BetOnline the best mobile sportsbook in Cali, able to open in a second. With how instant the world is, make sure your California sportsbook acts the same way.
- Reliable Banking Methods
- Strong Server Connection
- 10+ Year Track Record
- Huge Assortment Of Odds
- No App Mobile Betting
Can I Use MyBookie In California?
MyBookie has been serving California as one of the industry-leading online sportsbooks. They offer some of the top odds and sports betting promotions in Cali. On the backend, they thrive, spending lots of time and effort in making sure you and your funds are safe. They use an encrypted link to make sure your web browser is secure along with the server to the sportsbook.
- Huge Player Bonuses
- Consistent Odds
- Easy Interface
- Rapid Live Betting
Depositing Into A California Online Sportsbook In 2023
Depositing into legal California sports betting sites in 2023 is easy. Depending on the site, California players can use legal sportsbook deposit methods such as crypto or cards. Some California online sportsbooks accept other deposit methods, but the former is the most common. For example, Bovada accepts California residents that use Bitcoin and credit cards to fund their accounts. A few crypto varieties are possible too.
|Deposit Method:||Bovada Min/Max:||BetOnline Min/Max:||MyBookie Min/Max:|
Best Promotions At California Sportsbooks 2023
Sportsbook promotions for California residents are one of the best things about signing up for a new betting site. The sportsbook bonuses and promotions at online sportsbooks that accept California residents often have a 50-100% deposit match. Some of the best sports betting bonuses in 2023 are even offered on future deposits too. Aside from sports betting deposit bonuses in California, you can find other smaller promos too. Inflating the odds, having risk free bets, free play, or moving the line are all possible. Sportsbooks taking California players offer bonuses and promotions in order to keep interest up.
|Bovada||50% Deposit Match Up To $250||5x Rollover|
|Bovada||75% Crypto Deposit Match Up To $750||5x Rollover|
|BetOnline||100% Crypto Deposit Match Up T0o $1,000||14x Rollover|
|MyBookie||100% Deposit Match Up To $1,000||10x Rollover|
|SportsBetting||50% Deposit Match Up To $1,000||10x Rollover|
|XBet||100% Deposit Match Up To $500||7x Rollover|
What Do I Need To Register At A California Sports Betting Site Fast?
Register for online sportsbooks that take California residents start with giving them your name. Included is some basic information as well. Sign into your legal California online sports betting account. Take advantage of one their bonuses for California sports bettors. Look at our breakdown of what to expect when you register for a legal online betting site in California.
- First and Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Contact Info: Email/Phone Number
- Account Password
- Postal Zip Code
- Welcome Bonus Selection
- Make First Deposit
What Is The California Sports Betting Age?
Legal online sportsbooks that take players from California typically set the minimum age at 18 years old. If California launches its own regulated industry, then the legal sports betting age could jump to 21. But, until then, 18 is the sports betting age in California.
California Sports Betting Laws In 2023
Is sports betting legal in California? Well, the sports betting laws in California are clear. The state’s ban on betting in § 337a of the California Penal Code (Part 1, Title 9, Chapter 10 focuses on sportsbooks. Looking to curb “pool selling + bookmaking”, no sportsbooks in California have a license. But, there aren’t any laws banning citizens or tourists from betting on sports online in Cali. There have been plenty of attempts to bring regulated sports betting to California. But, no legalization within their borders has occurred.
- In 2017-2018, officials proposed ACA-18 after the PASPA repeal. This allowed states like California to create their own sports betting industry. No serious discussion came out of the early stages.
- In 2019-2020, ACA – 16 and SCA – 6 both worked hand in hand to bring retail and online sports betting to California. Even with included tribal efforts, both attempts fell through.
- In 2022, Prop 26 and Prop 27 both failed, both of which would have brought state-regulated betting to CA. Voters in California rejected both ballot sports betting initiatives.
California Sports Betting Timeline
- June 8, 2023: Fliff sued for operating an illegal sportsbook while claiming to be a free-to-play app in violation of the Wire Act.
- February 17, 2023: No legislators introduced any sports betting bills for the 2023 session.
- December 27, 2022: California’s Red Hawk Casino opens a new entertainment center in the the failures of Prop 26 and 27.
- November 16, 2022: Tribal leaders claim sportsbook regulation can be successful including tribes.
- November 8, 2022: Prop 26 fails as a California ballot proposal with 67% voting no. This accounted for 7.1 million votes. Prop 27 also failed, this one by a vote of 82% to no. Almost 9 million voters decided against legal California sports betting.
- October 31, 2022: CA Gov. Gavin Newsom comes out against Prop 27.
- September 14, 2022: The advertising battle between Prop 26 and Prop 27 heats up. Both parties air attack ads on each other’s California sports betting proposal.
- August 17, 2022: The MLB has comes out in support of sports betting in California. They back Prop 27 for passage.
- June 27, 2022: Prop 27 qualifies for the November 2022 ballot. Full name: The California Solutions to Homelessness & Mental Health Support Act
- May 11, 2022: California tribes want tribal mobile sports betting on the 2024 ballot.
- March 17, 2022: California tribes fight back against anti-sports betting attacks with ads.
- February 25, 2022: The Berkeley IGS Poll shows 45% accept change, 33% oppose change, and 22% are undecided toward California sports betting regulation.
- February 9, 2022: Tribes in California begin a late push for mobile sports betting in 2022.
- January 18, 2022: A stand down gains national attention by major media outlets.
- December 27, 2021: A lawsuit launches to invalidate props by card room owners.
- November 2, 2021: California’s tribes propose a new tribal gaming proposal for the 2022 ballot.
- October 20, 2021: Four mayors of major CA cities come out in support of legal sports betting in California. Their backed by major sports betting operators. Mayors Jerry Dyer (Fresno), Libby Schaaf (Oakland), and Robert Garcia ( Long Beach) back the homelessness bill.
- August 12, 2021: Commercial sports betting operators join forces with California card rooms. They see the California Solutions to Homelessness & Mental Health Support Act.
- February 9, 2021: The California Quechan Tribe of the Fort Yuma Indian Reservation give market access to sports betting entity Kindred Group.
- December 18, 2020: A tribal betting bill achieves the goal of one million signatures to get on the 2022 ballot.
- November 2, 2020: A presentation of a proposed gaming compact. It would give sports betting in California exclusivity to the 109 recognized tribes.
Can I Bet On Sports From My Phone In California?
Betting from your phone in California has never been easier in 2023. Online sportsbooks that take California players are almost always mobile optimized. Examples include Bovada and MyBookie offer mobile betting sites in California that are optimized versions of their standard desktop sites. These sports betting sites are legal to use in CA, but don’t have apps – you need to use their desktop sites only.
Devices You Can Use Bovada With In CA
- IPhones – IPhones can easily use Bovada by visiting their mobile website in Safari.
- IPads – IPads are Bovada-capable by using the browser installed on it to visit Bovada’s website – no app needed
- Samsung Galaxy Phones – You can access Bovada on Samsung Galaxy phones via their mobile website.
- Microsoft Surface Tablets – Surface tablets can use Bovada by accessing the mobile website in their browser.
- Google Pixel Phones – You can easily use Chrome to visit Bovada, without needing to download anything on the Play Store.
Where’s The Closest Sportsbook From California?
The closest in-person sportsbooks from California are a drive away. These sportsbooks will be in nearby states with legal sports betting. For example, legal sportsbooks in Oregon are closest to those in northern California, while San Diego residents would be best off traveling east to partake in some legal sports betting in Arizona. Despite two good options nearby, the vast majority of California travel to the best sportsbooks in Nevada, which of course are in Las Vegas. Once land-based sportsbooks in California are legalized, players should expect locations near major population hubs like Los Angeles or San Francisco or at tribal casinos in surrounding areas.
Cities Near California Where You Can Place Sports Bets
|Las Vegas, NV||North Bend, OR|
|Payson, AZ||Reno, NV|
|Phoenix, AZ||Henderson, NV|
Cities Most Likely To Offer Legal California Sports Betting
|Los Angeles||San Diego|
|San Jose||San Francisco|
Can I Bet Real Money On Sports In California?
Yes, real money sports betting is available in California. The sportsbooks that accept California residents are real money sportsbooks. They pay out real money in the form of checks, crypto, bank wires, and more.
Where To Place A Parlay Bet In California
A parlay bet is a wager that comprises 2-16 wagers together. Each wager ties into themselves, increasing the potential payout. This means that if you every bet, you win your parlay. A large payout usually follows, depending on the odds. But if you lose one, you lose the whole bet. California features many online sportsbooks that offer parlay betting.
Parlay Restrictions In CA
There are some limits on what you can wager in a Parlay in California, most of them imposed by the sportsbooks themselves.
- Same game props are not allowed unless explicitly stated as such.
- Generally, you can’t parlay spreads and moneylines from the same team.
- You can’t combine halftime and full time spreads/moneylines from the same team.
- Alt-lines in a parlay can’t be combined.
Top College Football California Sportsbooks 2023
You can bet on the 2023 College Football season in California with the many online sports betting sites that take California players. These online California sportsbooks all offer college sports betting on California college football, with betting odds on the UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans being the most common.
NFL Betting Sites In California
The top NFL betting sites in California are all available over the internet. You can use websites like Bovada to place wagers on the San Francisco 49ers, Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers. NFL betting sites that take California residents are all international – they operate online, and not in-person, but you can use them legally.
Top 6 Questions About California Legal Sports Betting
Can I Bet Online If I Live In California?
Yes, you can bet online with a variety of online sportsbooks that take California residents.
Can CA Residents Bet On FanDuel?
No. CA Residents can only bet on FanDuel if they are not currently inside the borders of CA, and are instead in a state where FanDuel is approved. FanDuel is not among the ranks of legal California sports betting sites in 2023.
Can I Bet On Bovada If I Live In California?
Yes, Bovada can be legally used in California, as it is an online sportsbook that accepts California residents. Many people ask “is Bovada legal in California”, and the answer is yes.
Can I Use A VPN To Bet On Sports In California?
You can, but you might be contravening local laws if you do. Most sportsbooks that accept California residents do not like players using a VPN.
What Gambling Websites Are Legal In California?
California’s legal gambling websites are only the online sportsbooks that take CA players like Bovada. Remember Bovada will take California players as long as they are 18 or older.
Is BetOnline Legal In California?
Yes, BetOnline is legal in California. Although many people ask “can I use BetOnline in California”, the answer is always the same – yes.
Horse Racing Betting In California
Pari-mutuel horse racing betting has been legal in California since 1933, with the industry regulated by the California Horse Racing Board. For players looking for the best legal horse betting sites, players can choose to use sites that offered throughout the US like Bovada. Those legal racebooks in California offer odds on horse racing in both the racebook itself or in the sportsbook for the biggest races. This is one of the best ways to engage in legal California sports betting.
Daily Fantasy Sports In California
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) in California is not regulated. This doesn’t mean its against the law, though. Like sports betting, the lack of an industry doesn’t outlaw the activity. The largest DFS sites in California include DraftKings and FanDuel. As recently as 2018, there were attempts to pass bills to legalize DFS in California. Though it didn’t pass, nothing changed, allowing paid DFS tournaments in Cali. Your memberships at DraftKings and FanDuel should always be in good standing.
Legal California Sports Betting FAQs
Is Online Sports Betting Safe In California?
Online sports betting in California is safe and secure. Using sportsbooks in California like Bovada are important. As long as you find a reputable brand or one with a license outside the US, you’ll be fine. They are a great alternative to long trips to Nevada for California players looking to bet safe.
Will Sports Betting In California Ever Be Legal?
Despite the failure in 2022, optimism remains high that sports betting in California will be legalized soon. Government officials know that they are losing out on taxes by not regulating the industry yet, while sports franchises and popular sports betting sites from other sites are missing out on revenue. Legal California sports betting sites like Bovada have provided players with a safe sportsbook for decades, meaning any new companies would be competing with an established brand that already has established trust among residents.
Will I Get Arrested For Sports Betting In California?
When using internet sportsbooks, there is no risk of being arrested in California for sports betting as they’re legal for residents to join. However, using other sources to gamble, like a neighborhood bookie, could result in legal ramifications for California sports bettors.
Where Is The Best Place To Bet On Sports In California?
Without any state-regulated sports betting, the best place to bet on sports in California is websites like Bovada. These outlets are legal and offer thousands of betting lines daily.
Is It Legal To Bet On Sports With My Friends In California?
Yes, it is completely legal to bet on sports among friends in California.