- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers struggled against the run last week against the Carolina Panthers and throughout this entire season.
- Betting on the over for Gus Edwards’ and Lamar Jackson’s rushing yards prop bet may be strong bets as a result.
TAMPA BAY, Fla. – After the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave up 173 rushing yards to the likes of D’Onta Foreman and Chubba Hubbard last week, NFL bettors are naturally going to want to bet on the rushing yards prop bets for the Baltimore Ravens’ primary ball carriers in their Week Eight tilt on Thursday Night Football against Tampa Bay.
Gus Edwards and Lamar Jackson led the Ravens in rushing yards last week, so it is natural to focus on those two players when looking at the rushing yards props on Bovada.
Betting on Gus Edwards’ Rushing Yards Prop
The Baltimore Ravens running back rotation made a large change last week, as the previous starter J.K. Dobbins was put on injured reserve just as Gus Edwards was taken off it.
In Edward’s first game back since tearing his ACL on September 9 of last year, he appeared to be fully healthy and very effective.
He rushed for 66 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries. Despite that strong showing, Bovada has set his rushing yards prop at just 45.5 yards.
Total Rushing Yards – Gus Edwards
- Over 45.5 Yards -120
- Under 45.5 Yards -110
NFL betting sites seemingly threw out multiple key trends that point toward Gus Edwards having a big game on the ground on Thursday Night Football this week and going over that 45.5-yard total:
- The Tampa Bay defense is still dining on past success as a rushing defense. Over the past three seasons, they ranked third, first, and first in rushing yards allowed per game. This season they rank 16.
- Gus Edwards’ main competition at running back is Kenyon Drake. Drake is likely to lose carries to Edwards this week, as he was incredibly inefficient last week when he rushed for five yards on 11 carries.
- On average, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ defense has given up 63.3 yards per game to the starting running back on the opposing team.
Betting on Lamar Jackson’s Rushing Yards Prop
Even after betting on his starting running back to go over their rushing yards prop, it is still a wise bet to bet the over on Lamar Jackson’s rushing yards prop as well in Week Eight.
Total Rushing Yards – Lamar Jackson
- Over 61.5 Yards -115
- Under 61.5 Yards -115
Lamar Jackson has averaged 72.9 rushing yards per game, which is 20.9 more yards per game than the next closest quarterback Justin Fields.
Jackson has been especially dynamic since Week Two, with his average jumping to 82 rushing yards per game.
Couple that with the fact that the Buccaneers’ defense has only faced one other quarterback who is among the top ten in rushing yards per game, Marcus Mariota at 33.9 YPG, and he rushed for nearly double his season average (61 yards on seven attempts), betting on Lamar Jackson to go over his rushing yards prop bet at legal sportsbooks may offer excellent value at -115 odds.
In order to provide you with the best independent sports betting news and content LegalSportsBetting.com may receive a commission from partners when you make a purchase through a link on our site.
News tags: Baltimore Ravens | Bovada | Chubba Hubbard | D'Onta Foreman | Gus Edwards | J.K. Dobbins | Kenyon Drake | Lamar Jackson | Marcus Mariota | NFL | Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Brett is a passionate sports writer who majored in Sport Management at Florida State University. He combines his knowledge of stats with his understanding of game theory to find the best values when sports betting. Brett enjoys golfing, playing cornhole, and hanging out by the pool when he’s not locked in watching games.