Last updated on: September 14th, 2023
Legal Texas Sports Betting 2023
Legal Texas sports betting sites are some of the best in the country, with many of truly emphasizing the “Everything is Bigger in Texas” saying. That means sports betting sites in Texas offer some of the biggest bonuses, betting catalogs, and payouts in the US. The only legal sports betting sites that accept Texans are those based internationally, with these world-renowned betting sites often lauded for their trustworthiness, payouts, and versatility. This page covers the best options in the state, what makes them stand out, and the history of legal Texas gambling.
- Some of the best legal sports betting sites that take Texas players are Bovada and BetOnline.
- Sports betting laws in TX have made some progress, but Texas has failed to launch a state-regulated sports betting mark.
- Sports betting sites in Texas that operate overseas are legal and have provided both desktop and mobile options for many years.
If looking for how to sports bet in Texas, Bovada has you covered. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking this week’s Cowboys spread or odds on the UTPB Falcons. Bovada has quite the range of betting odds on Texas teams. With their mobile betting platform, using Bovada in Texas is rather easy. Sign up through your phone or computer and take a look at Bovada’s bonuses for Texas players. They are sure to keep you happy when betting on sports in Texas.
- Quick Sign Up Process
- Instant Banking Methods
- New Player Welcome Bonus
- Deep Selection Of Player Props
- Live Betting Features
Accepting players from every part of Texas, BetOnline is a great choice. With expanded betting offerings, you’ll find two website modes: modern vs traditional. The traditional looks more like a big spreadsheet. The modern one will remind sports betting Texas users of a generic sportsbook app.
- Reliable Banking Methods
- Strong Server Connection
- 10+ Year Track Record
- Huge Assortment Of Odds
- No App Mobile Betting
Not only can you sports bet in Texas at Xbet, but it is one of best options for new players. XBet provides not only the ability to place sports wagers, but the ability to place wagers on other events as well, such as political wagering, which spiked in 2020. XBet’s offerings are second to none in the state of Texas.
- Worry-free Legal Betting
- Exclusive Bonus Offers
- Constantly Updated Odds
- Premier User Experience
- Full Mobile + Live Betting
Is Bovada Legal In Texas?
Yes, Bovada is legal in Texas and one of the few online sportsbooks that accept Texas players. As there are no Texas-regulated sports betting sites, this leaves Bovada as the best way to bet on sports online in Texas. With no Texas laws battling this issue, there are also no federal laws saying using Bovada can’t happen. From Bovada, no terms and conditions restrict players from Texas using their site. This leaves Bovada as a safe and legal sportsbook in Texas.
How To Sign Up For A Legal Sports Betting Account In Texas
- Create an Account: In the top right corner of your legal sports betting site, there will be a join button. Click it and enter the requisite information. That may include your name, email, a pin code for security, and more.
- Select a Bonus: An important step before depositing is taking a sportsbook bonus in Texas. Opt-in for the sports betting bonus that applies to you. Enter the code, if needed.
- Deposit Funds: Whether cryptocurrency another method, players deposit funds after selecting a bonus. For crypto that would mean going to your cryptocurrency exchange and sending. Otherwise, you’ll find easy credit card sportsbook deposits specified for each sportsbook.
- Bet: Legal Texas sportsbooks offer hundreds of lines and props to bet on every day. Most being an elite-level casino and racebook, you’ll find any gambling style you want.
Texas Sportsbook Bonuses
Sports betting bonuses in Texas are everywhere. But, not every sportsbook promo is equal. Be sure to read the fine print, as some Texas betting bonuses lock you in for the long term. Regardless, signup bonuses are useful yet the biggest sports betting promotions are with cryptocurrency.
|Bovada||Bitcoin Welcome Bonus||75%|
|BetOnline||Sports Welcome Bonus||50%|
|MyBookie||First Deposit Bonus||100%|
|BetUS||200% Crypto Sign Up Bonus||150% Sports + 50% Casino|
|SportsBetting||Sports Welcome Bonus||50%|
Texas Attempts To Legalize Sports Betting
Texas has not seen much progress to regulate sports betting. In fact, every single sports betting bill in Texas has not made it past its first reading. Every TX sportsbook regulation measure went to a committee, where it would die. The 2023 Texas legislative session could legalize sports betting, but it hasn’t done much in the past.
- In 2015, Rep. Abel Herrero (D-34) filed two measures. One would have required sportsbooks to have a license if they accepted Texas players. The other would make it a criminal offense to bet online in Texas.
- In 2017 and 2019, Rep. Eddie Lucio (D-27) filed two measures as well. One would have sent sports betting to the Texas ballot while the other would create a committee to begin sportsbook regulation.
- In 2021, legislators looked to ask residents to approve a gaming agreement between Texas and the Kickapoo Traditional Tribe of Texas. The companion bills – TX SJR 41 and TX HJR 112 both died in their branch’s State Affairs Committee.
Past Texas Sports Betting Bills
|2021||TX HJR 97||To propose an amendment on the constitution allowing Texas legislators to bring in a legal Texas sports betting industry.||Underwent public hearing, Died in House State Affairs Committee|
|2021||TX HB 2070||The companion bill to Texas sports betting measure HJR 97. It would have allowed Texas voters to approve a 10% sportsbook tax.||Underwent public hearing, Died in House State Affairs Committee|
|2021||TX HB 1121||To regulate and tax sports betting in Texas at 6.25% with a ban on betting college Texas college teams.||Died in the House State Affairs Committee|
|2019||TX HB 1275||To create a department to license and tax sports betting in Texas with the exception of Texas college sports.||Died in the House Licensing & Administrative Procedures Committee|
|2017||TX HJR 61||To add a proposition to the November 5, 2019 Texas ballot permitting the legislature to legalize sports betting in Texas.||Died in the House Licensing & Administrative Procedures Committee|
|2015||TX HB 4040||To require online sportsbooks to receive a yearly license from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation||Died in the House Licensing & Administrative Procedures Committee|
|2015||TX HB 4019||To make it a misdemeanor criminal offense to bet on sports online in Texas or operate an online sportsbook.||Died in House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee|
Texas Sports Betting And Gambling Laws
Texas gambling laws are in the Texas Penal Code, Section 47.01 – 47.10. But, legislators have yet to regulate online sportsbooks in Texas. This means that there aren’t any actual sports betting laws in Texas. Most of the gambling laws in Texas focus on operators, not the bettors. In short, the Texas sports betting laws prevent locals from operating a sportsbook. Yet, nothing states you cannot bet on sports in Texas.
Texas Sports Betting Timeline
- Apr 22, 2022 – Texas Gubernatorial candidate Beto O’Rourke came out in support of regulating sports betting in Texas.
- Oct 7, 2021 – Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban supports sports betting, saying “I am for legalizing all betting.”
- Jul 28, 2021 – Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowboys, is in favor of Texas regulating sports gambling. “I certainly know that gambling as it pertains to our games is here. Frankly, it’s been here,” Jones said to SportsRadio 96.7 FM/1310 The Ticket [KTCK-AM]. “Yes, I do see gambling being a common thing. The handwriting is on the wall. Gambling has been here a long time.”
- Apr 15, 2021 – A new bill to regulate sports betting, HB 2070, is introduced in the House. This bill will not pass.
- Feb 24, 2021 – There are several different bills that would regulate sports betting percolating in the Texas State Legislature. One of them would allow for betting at sporting events in Texas.
- Jan 21, 2021 – Rep. Harold Dutton introduces HB 1121, which would regulate Texas sports betting in a similar manner to Tennessee – online and mobile sports betting only.
- Nov 19, 2020 – The issue of Daily Fantasy Sports once again rears its head in the Texas State Legislature, as HB 393, which would regulate DFS, is proposed.
- Aug 1, 2019 – DraftKings and Penn National Gaming sign a deal that includes provisions for a future sports betting Texas market.
What Is the Sports Betting Age In Texas?
Legal sports betting sites that allow Texas residents set a betting age at 18. Since Texas does not have a regulated market, there is no sports betting age in Texas. Some may feel better betting at 21, but this age is in somewhat of a grey area. Until sports betting in Texas is regulated by the state, feel free to bet at 18.
Ways To Bet In Texas
- Spreads – Spread bets are wagers placed on handicapped lines, that allow you to wager on margins of victory.
- Moneylines – Moneylines are simply picking winners – like taking the Cowboys over the Commanders.
- Totals – Totals bets are wagers on the total number of times something happens – total points in the game is the most common.
- Parlays – Parlays put two or more wagers together to get bigger payouts – at the risk of the whole bet failing if one leg falls apart.
- Props – Props are wagers on individual players, and can take many forms. An example would be taking Dak Prescott to pass for more than 200 yards in a game.
Live Betting In Texas
Live betting lets you wager on all sorts of props and lines related to teams in Texas. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for Longhorns live odds and Aggies in game bets. If those games are happening, you’ll explore a whole world for live betting Texas sports teams. This lets you hedge and double down on your pregame bets on the Cowboys, Texans and other teams!
- Betting on spreads, moneylines, props and O/Us as they are adjusted due to in-game events.
- Betting on the next events to occur in the game, such as who will score the next touchdown.
How Do I Bet Live In Texas?
All you have to do is visit an online sportsbook, and select the live betting option from their menu. This will look different at different sportsbooks, so here are examples from Bovada and BetOnline, respectively, with the live betting button highlighted.
Can I Bet Real Money On Sports In Texas?
Betting real money on sports in Texas is possible at online sportsbooks. Without any legal sportsbooks in Texas or commercial casinos, this is the only way. Use credit cards, cryptocurrency, or more when real money sports betting in Texas. Make sure the sportsbook in Texas has a license, like the ones on our page.
Mobile Sports Betting Apps In Texas
Texas’ residents have access to mobile sports betting sites too. It would take too much time to list every device that can access sports betting sites in Texas. Nearly every device can. Any smartphone made in the last decade has an internet browser. All internet browsers can load Texas mobile sports betting sites that are legal. Among the options for devices are:
- Samsung Galaxy
- Microsoft Surface
- LG Wing
- Apple iPhone
- Motorola 5G
- Google Pixel
- Samsung Flip Z
- And More!
Can I Deposit On iPhones In Texas?
You can easily make sports betting deposits on iPhones when you are in Texas. Access the deposit menu and the deposit process is the same. For more on that, check out our sportsbook deposits page. One note when depositing into your sportsbook with crypto. You’ll have to switch between the mobile site and your crypto wallet. This can be a bit tricky for less experienced users.
Texas Sportsbook Deposit And Withdrawal Information
Getting money into a Texas sportsbook is easy with crypto or credit cards. Using Bitcoin to bet on sports in Texas is generally the easiest. This form allows depositing and withdrawing without any fees and great bonuses. Litecoin and other cryptos work the same way at sportsbooks in Texas. Be sure to check out the withdrawal options at legal sports betting sites that accept Texas players first.
Bovada Deposit Methods In TX
|Visa/ Mastercard||$20||$1,500||Up to 48 hours|
|Bitcoin||$10||$5,000||Up to 24 hours|
|Bitcoin Cash||$10||$5,000||Up to 1 hour|
|Litecoin||$10||$5,000||Up to 1 hour|
|Ethereum||$50||$5,000||Up to 30 seconds|
|Bitcoin SV (BSV)||$10||$5,000||Up to 1 hour|
|Player Transfer||$10||$15,000||Up to 1 Hour|
Cryptocurrencies are a major deposit method of choice at online sportsbooks, but they also accept a variety of more traditional methods such as Visa and Mastercard. The books tend to prefer you using crypto, as you can see from the fees applied to them as well as the deposit limits and time frames.
Bovada Withdrawal Methods In TX
|Bitcoin||No Limit||24 Hours||0%|
|Bitcoin Cash||No Limit||1 Hour||0%|
|Litecoin||No Limit||1 Hour||0%|
|Ethereum||No Limit||15 minutes||0%|
|Player Transfer||$15,000||Up to 15 minutes||variable|
|MatchPay||$1,000||Up to 15 Minutes||variable|
|Voucher||$3,000||2 Business Days||0%|
|Check by Courier||$3,000||10-15 Business Days||0%|
Best Texas Banks For International Transactions
Depositing into legal Texas sports betting sites requires international transactions. This is for the deposit methods that are not crypto or a person-2-person service. There are specific banks in Texas that allow these types of transactions. This helps make bank transfers or sportsbook credit card deposits manageable in Texas. With their help, you’ll be able to fund your account quick to bet on Texas sporting events.
Best Texas Banks For International Wire Transfers
- Texas Capital Bank – Allows for wire transfers to be sent and received by international markets. Funds can be sent in US or international currencies.
- BTH Bank – This Texas bank offers same-day electronic wire transfers to domestic or international receivers. BTH also allows the funds to be sent in the form of US or international currencies.
Texas Cities With A Wire Transfer Bank Location
- Dallas (Texas Capital and BTH)
- Austin (Texas Capital)
- Forth Worth (Texas Capital and BTH)
- Houston (Texas Capital)
- San Antonio (Texas Capital)
- Carthage (BTH)
- Hawkins (BTH)
- Henderson (BTH)
- Holly Lake Ranch (BTH)
- Kilgore (BTH)
- Longview (BTH)
- McKinney (BTH)
- Mineola (BTH)
- Plano (BTH)
- Quitman (BTH)
- Tyler (BTH)
Can I Use Western Union For Legal Texas Sports Betting?
Western Union is a secure international money transfer service. Using Western Union for legal Texas sports betting is still possible. Usually, you’ll have to talk to a customer service rep at the sportsbook you choose. They will walk you through the steps to get Western Union into your sportsbook account.
What Texas Sports Teams Can I Bet On?
All four major leagues in the US have a sports team in Texas. In fact, some leagues even have multiple sports teams. Not only can you bet on sports in Texas at the professional level but these sites shine when it comes to betting on college sports. This includes betting on the Longhorns. But, sportsbooks also have odds on the Dallas Baptist Patriots and more. Keep in mind that TX sports betting sites have bets available for teams all over the world. But for locals, these are the sports teams to bet on.
List Of Team Names
|Dallas Cowboys (NFL)||Houston Texans (NFL)||Houston Astros (MLB)|
|Texas Rangers (MLB)||San Antonio Spurs (NBA)||Houston Rockets (NBA)|
|Dallas Mavericks (NBA)||San Antonio Stars (WNBA)||Dallas Stars (NHL)|
|FC Dallas (MLS)||Houston Dynamo (MLS)||Abilene Christian Wildcats (NCAA-D1)|
|Baylor Bears (NCAA-D1)||Houston Cougars (NCAA-D1)||Houston Baptist Huskies (NCAA-D1)|
|Incarnate Word Cardinals (NCAA-D1)||Lamar Cardinals and Lady Cardinals (NCAA-D1)||North Texas Mean Green (NCAA-D1)|
|Prairie View A&M Panthers and Lady Panthers (NCAA-D1)||Rice Owls (NCAA-D1)||Sam Houston State Bearkats (NCAA-D1)|
|SMU Mustangs (NCAA-D1)||Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks and Ladyjacks (NCAA-D1)||Tarleton Texans (NCAA-D1)|
|TCU Horned Frogs and Lady Frogs (NCAA-D1)||Texas Longhorns (NCAA-D1)||Texas A&M Aggies (NCAA-D1)|
|Texas A&M–Corpus Christi Islanders (NCAA-D1)||Texas Southern Tigers and Lady Tigers (NCAA-D1)||Texas State Bobcats (NCAA-D1)|
|Texas Tech Red Raiders and Lady Raiders (NCAA-D1)||UT Arlington Mavericks (NCAA-D1)||UTEP Miners (NCAA-D1)|
|UTRGV Vaqueros (NCAA-D1)||UTSA Roadrunners (NCAA-D1)||Angelo State Rams (NCAA-D2)|
|Dallas Baptist Patriots (NCAA-D2)||Lubbock Christian Chaparrals (NCAA-D2)||Midwestern State Mustangs (NCAA-D2)|
|St. Edward’s Hilltoppers (NCAA-D2)||St. Mary’s Rattlers (NCAA-D2)|
|Texas A&M–Commerce Lions (NCAA-D2)||Texas A&M International Dustdevils (NCAA-D2)||Texas A&M–Kingsville Javelinas (NCAA-D2)|
|UT Tyler Patriots (NCAA-D2)||UTPB Falcons (NCAA-D2)||Texas Woman’s Pioneers (NCAA-D2)|
|West Texas A&M Buffaloes (NCAA-D2)||Austin College ‘Roos (NCAA-D3)||Concordia Tornados (NCAA-D3)|
|Dallas Crusaders (NCAA-D3)||East Texas Baptist Tigers (NCAA-D3)||Hardin–Simmons Cowboys (NCAA-D3)|
|Howard Payne Yellow Jackets (NCAA-D3)||LeTourneau Yellow Jackets (NCAA-D3)||Mary Hardin–Baylor Crusaders (NCAA-D3)|
|McMurry War Hawks (NCAA-D3)||St. Thomas Celts (NCAA-D3)||Schreiner Mountaineers (NCAA-D3)|
|Southwestern Pirates (NCAA-D3)||Sul Ross State Lobos (NCAA-D3)||Texas Lutheran Bulldogs (NCAA-D3)|
|Trinity Tigers (NCAA-D3)||UT Dallas Comets (NCAA-D3)|
NFL Sports Betting Sites In Texas
Backed by Dak Prescott, the Dallas Cowboys still have favorable odds for the 2024 Super Bowl. At Texas NFL sportsbooks, the Houston Texans are not expected to compete. Whether you support either Texas NFL team or are a visiting fan, legal NFL sportsbooks help guide you.
- In 2021-2023, the Cowboys covering the spread as a favorite leads the NFL. At 18-9 (66.7%), they are the one of six teams hitting at a 60% clip.
- The Houston Texans were one of 12 teams with a winning record against the spread vs divisional opponents in 2022.
Betting On The MLB In Texas
Legal MLB betting sites in Texas have had to pay out large over the past few seasons. This is true because of bets on the Houston Astros. Whether it was Mattress Mack or his customers, the Astros made nearly everyone some money in 2022. Add Jacob DeGrom on the Rangers and Texas sports betting sites have a lot to offer for MLB games.
Betting On The NBA In Texas
With three NBA teams to bet in Texas, there is action at legal NBA betting sites all season. During the offseason, you’ll even find future odds on the Mavericks, Rockets and Spurs. Aside from NBA Draft bets and free agency news, sports betting Texas can have you going all year. The Dallas Maverick are the current best Texas NBA team to wager on. Luka Doncic was looking like one of the best players in the whole NBA and was the favorite in the odds to win the 2022-23 league MVP at one point.
How To Bet On The Texas Longhorns In Texas
Whether Quinn Ewers or Arch Manning, legal online sportsbooks have Longhorns betting odds. Find individual game lines or bets for Texas to win the National Championship. Legal sportsbook sites offer Texas Longhorn player betting props and more. No matter the CFB betting odds, they’ll have you covered.
Horse Race Betting In Texas
Betting on horse races in Texas is the oldest form of gambling. Also called pari-mutuel wagering, Texas legalized it in 1933. While TVG and Twin Spires are available, shop horse racing odds with Bovada too. This ensures you get the best payout no matter what Texas horse race you are betting on. Keep in mind, legal Texas sports betting sites like Bovada will have races from all over the world.
Daily Fantasy Sports In Texas
Unlike sports betting sites in Texas, daily fantasy sports is in a grey area. Texas AG Ken Paxton found DFS to be illegal in 2016. But, DraftKings and FanDuel challenged this decision. Legal Texas gambling includes real money DFS. Even if there aren’t laws around DFS in the state, it is open for playing.
Legal Texas Sports Betting FAQs
Is Online Sports Betting Safe In Texas?
Online sports betting in Texas is safe so long as you go through the proper channels. Since there are no sportsbook in Texas, using an online sportsbook in Texas is the way to bet. But, make sure the site has a license like the ones of our page. A safe sportsbook in Texas is Bovada, which always pays out their winnings. They also have security standards that keep your information safe.
Will Sports Betting In Texas Ever Be Legal?
Betting on sports in Texas is legal already. Using an online sportsbook that accepts Texas players is the way to go about it. Just make sure you aren’t using a local bookie in Texas. This method is not approved in Texas. Likewise, don’t use any business inside Texas that offers sports betting lines. They do not hold a license.
Will I Get Arrested For Sports Betting In Texas?
Nobody has gotten arrested in Texas for betting on sports… at least not that we have found. As long as you use a sportsbook in Texas located out of the US, you are fine. There are no Texas sports betting laws that can get in your way.
Where Is The Best Place To Bet On Sports In Texas?
The best place to bet on sports in Texas is Bovada. They offer a reliable online sportsbook for Texas residents. Unless you want to travel to New Mexico, Louisiana, or Arkansas, you will have to use an online book. That is fine since Bovada is the best Texas sportsbook.
Is It Safe To Use A Local Bookie In Texas?
You should not use a local bookie in Texas. While there are no laws against betting with a bookie, there is no accountability. Being a bookie is against the law in Texas, though. This means that you can place bets with a bookie in Texas but it may not work out in the end. The safest way is to use an online sportsbook in Texas like Bovada.
Do Any Casinos In Texas Have Sports Betting?
There are only two casinos in Texas, in Livingston and Eagle Pass. But, neither of these Texas casinos have sports betting. Using a sportsbook in Texas can only happen with online books. These Texas casinos have poker rooms and slots but for now, there is no sportsbook.
Can I Bet On Sports With My Friends In Texas?
Betting on sports in Texas with friends is just fine. Texas gambling laws focus on operators and those offering the sports betting lines. As long as there is no “house” taking a cut, betting with friends in Texas is ok.
How Many Sportsbooks Are In Texas?
There are no Texas sportsbooks that you can visit in person. But there are many legal Texas online sportsbooks that you can bet with. Expect some local sportsbooks in Texas to launch soon. Until then, take advantage of one of the legal sportsbooks in Texas like Bovada.