Last updated on: February 3rd, 2023
Legal California Sports Betting
There is no surprise that legal California sports betting has quite the following. Online sports betting is possible through online sportsbooks that accept California players. Yet to create a California sports betting industry, land-based sports betting is behind. In the meantime, online sportsbooks offer the best legal sports betting lines in Cali. With betting action on all California teams, you will find what you are looking for. See why these books position themselves above the future sportsbook in California.
- Two sports betting ballot propositions in California qualified for the 2022 ballot but were both voted down by residents.
- Despite the outcome of these, using sportsbooks like Bovada in California is legal and available to all residents and visitors.
California Super Bowl 57 Betting
Even if you’re not taking the trip to Arizona, at least bet on Super Bowl 57 props in California. Will USC native JuJu Smith-Schuster comes out to play? While the Super Bowl LVII props for JuJu offer one way to bet, you’ll find many California betting sites offering odds the Super Bowl.
Best California Betting Sites
Is Bovada Legal In California?
Bovada is a legal online sportsbook in California. Servicing California since the 90s, Bovada remains California’s online best sportsbook. There is no record of troubles when using Bovada in California. They accept CA players in their TOC, and no California sports betting laws restrict using it.
Bovada has been known for years as the top online sportsbook in California since launching. They offer some of the best odds, best promotions, and are easy to use. Signing up for them is also a breeze as you will be betting within minutes of registering. You can also take advantage of one of the many bonuses that they have to offer that are compatible with normal credit and debit cards along with cryptocurrencies.
- Fast deposit connection
- Online live betting suite
- Mobile betting capabilities
- Trustworthy customer service
- Exclusive prop builder
One area where BetOnline thrives is in the mobile betting department. You can access their platform from basically any smartphone that has access to the internet such as an iPhone, Android, Samsung, or Google device. While there are no downloadable apps on these phones, you can simply log in on that web browser and bet, deposit, use bonuses, and much more with just the tap of a finger.
- Reliable Banking Methods
- Strong Server Connection
- 10+ Year Track Record
- Huge Assortment Of Odds
- No App Mobile Betting
MyBookie has been serving as one of the industry-leading online sportsbooks in California as they offer some of the top odds and promotions. On the backend though is where they thrive being that they spend lots of time and effort in making sure you are safe and your funds are safe. They use an encrypted link to make sure your web browser is secure along with the server to the sportsbook.
- Huge Player Bonuses
- Consistent Odds
- Easy Interface
- Rapid Live Betting
As a sportsbook on the forefront of crypto, SportsBetting is great for Bitcoin users. They also take two dozen other cryptos. This makes SportsBetting the most versatile sportsbook in California. Exchange crypto at SportsBetting to bet, withdrawal, and build with bonuses. Besides depositing, SportsBetting offers odds on Gavin Newsom and other California election props. Find SportsBetting as a great way to bet online in California with this sportsbook.
- Efficient Site Layout
- Full Mobile Betting Suite
- Available Customer Service
- Trustworthy Banking Options
- Fast Payout Times
XBet has everything laid out on the left side for bettors. This helps California players using XBet to scope the entire sportsbook. With their category system, finding what you want to bet on is easy. Take the Angels for example. You can find Angels odds to win the series they are in. Or, bet the Angels World Series odds. Either way, there are game odds and 1st 5 inning Angels lines for every game. Spread that example all across all sports. You find an easy to navigate and reliable sportsbook in California in XBet.
- Worry-free Legal Betting
- Exclusive Bonus Offers
- Constantly Updated Odds
- Premier User Experience
- Full Mobile + Live Betting
How To Bet On Sports In California
Looking how to bet on sports in California? Register for a legal online sports betting site by giving them your name. Included is some basic information as well. Sign into your legal California online sports betting account. Take advantage of one their bonuses for California sports bettors. Look at our breakdown of what to expect.
- First and Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Contact Info: Email/Phone Number
- Account Password
- Postal Zip Code
- Welcome Bonus Selection
- Make First Deposit
How To Place A Parlay Bet In California
California features many online sportsbooks that offer parlay betting. In this way, you can place a bet on the 49ers to win and the Rams to win, and if both of them win, you’ll see a bigger payout. Online sportsbooks are the best places to wager a Parlay in CA.
What Is A Parlay Bet In CA?
A Parlay bet is a wager that comprises 2-16 other wagers. Each of the wagers is tied to each other – this means that if you win both, you get a huge payout, but if you lose one, you lose the whole bet.
Let’s say you think the Sacramento Kings are going to cover the spread against the Boston Celtics, and the Los Angeles Rams are going to win on the moneyline against the New England Patriots. You can wager on these games separately, or you can start up a parlay that boosts your payout if both of those things happen.
Parlay Restrictions In CA
There are some limits on what you can wager in a Parlay in California, most of them imposed by the sportsbooks themselves.
- Same game props are not allowed unless explicitly stated as such.
- You can’t parlay spreads and moneylines from the same team.
- You can’t combine halftime and full time spreads/moneylines from the same team.
- You cannot combine alt-lines in a parlay.
Can I Bet Real Money On Sports In California?
Yes, real money betting is available in California. The sportsbooks that accept California residents are real money sportsbooks that pay out real money in wins. Bettors can deposit and withdraw real-world funds from sportsbooks like Bovada, BetOnline, MyBookie, SportsBetting, and Xbet in California. Residents can win real money betting at these legal sports betting sites.
What Is The California Sports Betting Age?
The only sportsbooks that accept California betting fans allow players to wager at 18 years old or older. California could see the launch of local regulated books following the November election. The regulated betting age is likely to be set at 21.
California Sports Betting Laws
California sports betting and gambling laws are fairly clear. The state’s ban on sports wagering is defined in § 337a of the California Penal Code (Part 1, Title 9, Chapter 10. Gaming), and states that “pool selling or bookmaking, with or without writing, at any time or place” within CA borders is strictly prohibited, and violators are subject to up to a year in prison and a fine of $5000 for a first offense.
In addition to that, there have been plenty of attempts to bring regulated sports betting to California. More recently in 2017-2018, officials proposed ACA-18 after the overturning of the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) which allowed states to make their own sports betting regulations.
In 2019-2020, ACA – 16 and SCA – 6 both worked hand in hand to bring retail and online sports betting to California and have even included tribal efforts as well. Both attempts to bring regulated sports betting in any capacity to California fell through. In 2022, Prop 26 and 27 both failed, both of which would have brought state-regulated betting to CA.
2022 California Sports Betting Ballot Initiatives/Proposals Fail
Sports betting in California lost two votes during the November 2022 ballot.Two California sports betting initiatives made the ballot.
One is the “Legalize Sports Betting on American Indian Lands Initiative”. The other is the “California Legalize Sports Betting and Revenue for Homelessness Prevention Fund Initiative”. These two proposals oppose one another. Local tribes are pushing for retail sports betting only on Tribal grounds. The Homelessness act focuses on private sports betting operators offering mobile sports betting.
Both of these initiatives failed, with many blaming the fact that both initiatives competed with each other for market share. They even aired attack ads against each other. In November 2022, neither of them ended up passing.
- Supporters: California Tribes
- Opponents: Commercial casinos in California, US sportsbooks
- Method: Retail only sports betting at tribal casinos. No bets on California universities and colleges.
- Benefits: Estimated around $100 million, with California sportsbooks taxed at 10%. This money supports the General Fund (70%), enforcement (15%), and problem gambling (15%).
- Supporters: US sportsbooks
- Opponents: California Tribes
- Method: Online sports betting only. Bets on California universities and colleges permitted.
- Benefits: Estimated around $200 million, with California sportsbooks taxed at 10%. This money supports a fund for homelessness resources and programs (85%) and California tribes (15%).
The MLB Supporting Prop 27
The MLB has supported Prop 27 for legal sports betting in California. This bill would legalize online sports betting through sportsbook operators. the MLB came out knowing Prop 26 would allow for no online betting in any form. The MLB has partnerships with FanDuel and DraftKings. With Prop 26, it would not allow these sportsbooks to offer odds on California MLB teams.
Opposition To Both California Props
With a strong focus on homelessness, both props have received much opposition. Though not complete, there is over $130 million in opposition to both measures. For Prop 26, the opposition totals $42 million. For Prop 27, it is closer to $100 million. All have attempted to say Californians can only approve one sports betting bill. While both can pass, advertisements are pitting one another against each other.
Only days away from the 2022 California ballot, Governor Gavin Newsome spoke about California sports betting. He announced his formal to Prop 27 stating its risk of underage gambling, its detriment to the native tribes, and its weath distribution from California locals to out of state corporations.
In addition, polls to continue to show the lack of progress and attention from California sports betting users. Of likely voters in the election, only 9% states they would bet on sports. On top of that, they responded that making sports betting in California legal is a “bad thing” (48%) with a “good thing” (30%) just higher than “don’t know”
California Sports Betting Timeline
- Dec 27, 2022 – California’s Red Hawk Casino opens a new entertainment center in the wake of the failures of Prop 26 and 27, demonstrating the Tribes’ willingness to continue as things are in the absence of sports betting.
- Nov 16, 2022 – Tribal leaders claim that sports betting regulation can only be successful if they are included. It is unclear if this will presage cooperation between the tribes and the major online gambling retailers.
- November 8, 2022: Both Prop 26 and 27 fail at the ballot box
- October 31, 2022: CA Gov. Gavin Newsom comes out against Prop 2
- September 14, 2022: The advertising battle between Prop 26 and Prop 27 is heating up, with both parties airing attack ads on each other.
- August 17, 2022: The MLB has come out in support of sports betting in CA, backing Prop 27 for passage.
- June 27, 2022: The California Solutions to Homelessness & Mental Health Support Act officially qualifies for the November 2022 ballot.
- May 11, 2022: Several California tribes, unhappy with the current proposals on the 2022 ballot, will aim for a proposal on the 2024 ballot to regulate tribal mobile sports betting.
- March 17, 2022: California Tribes are fighting back against anti-sports betting attacks on the November ballot with television ads.
- February 25, 2022: A sports betting acceptance poll revealed 45% acceptance, 33% opposed, and 22% undecided.
- February 9, 2022: Tribes in California begin a late push for a mobile betting option on the November 2022 ballot.
- January 18, 2022: A stand down between those in favor and those against sports betting in California gained national attention by major media outlets.
- December 27, 2021: There is a lawsuit launched to invalidate the sports betting ballot by several card room owners. . To date, it has not succeeded.
- November 2, 2021: California’s tribes will propose a new tribal gaming proposal for the 2022 ballot.
- October 20, 2021: Four mayors of major CA cities have come out in support of the sports betting/homelessness bill backed by major sports betting operators. These mayors are Fresno Mayor Jerry Dyer, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, and Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia..
- August 12, 2021: Commercial sports betting operators join forces with California cities, card rooms, and sports leagues in a new proposal that would see funds from sports betting used to combat homelessness in CA. This bill is called the California Solutions to Homelessness & Mental Health Support Act.
- May 27, 2021: A tribal betting bill has achieved the goal of one million signatures to get on the 2022 ballot. The bill earned 1,061,282 signatures. This bill does not include online/mobile sports betting.
- February 9, 2021: The California Quechan Tribe of the Fort Yuma Indian Reservation gives market access to sports betting entity Kindred Group. This would allow Kindred partners to launch in California if and when the market is regulated.
- December 18, 2020: The tribal gaming proposal gains more than 1.4 million signatures, making sure that it will appear on the 2022 ballot.
- November 2, 2020: A proposed gaming compact is presented that would give exclusive dominion of sports betting in California to the 109 officially recognized tribes. The compact would allow online betting on tribal grounds only. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the bill was put on hold and failed to make it to the ballot.
Sports Betting Revenue In California
Sports betting is not regulated in CA, but bettors still find ways to wager. Industry experts have estimated $20-$30 billion in wagers could be placed in a regulated California market. It is often described as the holy grail of sports betting, since there are so many people to wager and so many teams to wager on. Nevada routinely posts handles in the $40 million range, and a regulated California market could more than exceed that.
Where’s The Closest Sportsbook From California?
Those looking to bet in person must drive to Oregon, Nevada, or Arizona. Without legal sportsbooks at casinos in California, it requires a journey. Still, the closest place to bet sports in Cali is at home. Bet from anywhere by using an online sportsbook that takes California residents. Expect sportsbooks around the most populous cities when California legalizes sports betting. If tribes wrestle for California sports betting exclusivity, it limits options to them.
Cities Most Likely To Offer Legal California Sports Betting
|Los Angeles||San Diego|
|San Jose||San Francisco|
If you’re looking for the closest city to place bet on sports in person, you’ll have to go across the border into Nevada, Oregon or Arizona. Betting at legal sports betting sites is a far more economical so only make these trips if you want the experience of the physical sportsbook.
Cities Near California Where You Can Place Sports Bets
|Las Vegas, NV||North Bend, OR|
|Payson, AZ||Reno, NV|
|Phoenix, AZ||Henderson, NV|
Depositing Into A California Online Sportsbook
Using a sportsbook in California has many deposit options behind it. Depending on the site, California players can deposit with many forms of crypto or cards. Some sportsbooks will accept other methods get money in, but the former is the most common. Making a deposit to Bovada in California is possible with Bitcoin and credit cards. A few crypto varieties are possible too.
|Deposit Method:||Bovada Min/Max:||BetOnline Min/Max:||MyBookie Min/Max:|
California Sports Betting Promotions
The great thing about find a new book is using a California sportsbook promotion. The sportsbook in Cali that offer bonuses often come with a 50-100% match. Some even look to help on all future deposits too. Aside from deposit bonuses, you can find other smaller promos too. Inflating the odds, having risk free bets, free play, or moving the line are all possible. Sportsbooks taking California players love having a variety of benefits to keep interest.
|Bovada||50% Deposit Match Up To $250||5x Rollover|
|Bovada||75% Crypto Deposit Match Up To $750||5x Rollover|
|BetOnline||50% Deposit Match Up To $1,000||10x Rollover|
|BetOnline||100% Crypto Deposit Match Up T0o $1,000||14x Rollover|
|MyBookie||100% Deposit Match Up To $1,000||10x Rollover|
|BetUS||125% Deposit Match Up To $3,125||10 x Rollover|
|BetUS||150% Sports +20% Casino Bonus Up To $2,500||15x Rollover|
|SportsBetting||50% Deposit Match Up To $1,000||10x Rollover|
|XBet||100% Deposit Match Up To $500||7x Rollover|
Betting From Your Phone In California
CA is in the process of regulating sports betting – as long as it passes on the ballot – but you don’t have to wait to access mobile sports betting in CA. You can use the mobile websites of sportstbooks like Bovada and MyBookie in order to place bets in CA with no issues. Note that these books do not have apps – they specifically work with mobile websites instead. This means that any Bovada apps are scams, and you should avoid them!
Devices You Can Use Bovada With In CA
- IPhones – IPhones can easily use Bovada by visiting their mobile website in Safari.
- IPads – IPads are Bovada-capable by using the browser installed on it to visit Bovada’s website – no app needed
- Samsung Galaxy Phones – You can access Bovada on Samsung Galaxy phones via their mobile website.
- Microsoft Surface Tablets – Surface tablets can use Bovada by accessing the mobile website in their browser.
- Google Pixel Phones – You can easily use Chrome to visit Bovada, without needing to download anything on the Play Store.
Live Betting In California
No matter what happens with the regulation bills, Californians can easily access live sports betting via online sportsbooks. These books, such as Bovada, are among the most used options for sports betting in CA. They provide a wide range of odds and lines, as well as specific wagers unique to live betting.
Live Betting With Pregame Lines
When you start live betting, you might want to kick off with live betting on lines available pregame. The way it works is that the lines shift as the game is in progress, which allows you to double down or hedge against earlier bets placed before the game started.
Live Betting Specials
Live betting gives wagerers in CA a unique opportunity to bet on the action as it happens. This means you can place a bet on specific things happening just before they do. For example, if you’re watching the Rams, you can bet on the next pass going to Cooper Kupp. If you’re watching the Lakers, you can bet on Lebron James to score the next points in the game. There are nearly unlimited lines available when you bet live in CA.
Horse Racing Betting In California
Horse racing betting in California has never been more simple or convenient as it was legalized in 1933 under Prop 3. The California Horse Racing Board regulates the industry, setting licensing for online horse racing sites in California. International racebooks like Bovada also have plenty of lines for horse races whether gambling on the Kentucky Derby or any other race year-round.
Daily Fantasy Sports In California
Daily fantasy sports (DFS) in California is not technically legal, though the activity is allowed and remains unregulated (but bound by the various operators’ terms of service). All of the country’s largest DFS providers operate in California, and the state has been the site of many DraftKings and FanDuel tournaments. As recently as 2018, California attempted to pass legislation formally legalizing and regulating daily fantasy sports, but this initiative died in congress. That said, it is only a matter of time before the state passes laws to legalize the activity, especially since they aren’t actively banning operators like DraftKings and FanDuel. It is likely that DFS legislation will be bundled with future sports wagering legislation. Until then, however, you can freely participate in paid (and free) DFS leagues and tournaments in California, and your memberships at DraftKings and FanDuel (as well as other companies) should always be in good standing.
Professional Sports Teams To Bet On In California
NCAA College Teams In California
|Academy of Art Urban Knights (D2)||Azusa Pacific Cougars (D2)||Biola Eagles (D2)|
|Cal Poly Humboldt Lumberjacks (D2)||Cal Poly Mustangs (D1)||Cal Poly Pomona Broncos (D2)|
|Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners (D1)||Cal State Dominguez Hills Toros (D2)||Cal State East Bay Pioneers (D2)|
|Cal State Fullerton Titans (D1)||Cal State Los Angeles Golden Eagles (D2)||Cal State Monterey Bay Otters (D2)|
|Cal State Northridge Matadors (D1)||Cal State San Bernardino Coyotes (D2)||Cal State San Marcos Cougars (D2)|
|California Baptist Lancers (D1)||California Golden Bears (D1)||California Lutheran Kingsmen and Regals (D3)|
|Caltech Beavers (D3)||Chapman Panthers (D3)||Chico State Wildcats (D2)|
|Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Stags and Athenas (D3)||Concordia Eagles (D2)||Dominican Penguins (D2)|
|Fresno Pacific Sunbirds (D2)||Fresno State Bulldogs (D1)||Holy Names Hawks (D2)|
|La Verne Leopards (D3)||Long Beach State Beach (or “The Beach”) (D1)||Loyola Marymount Lions (D1)|
|Mills Cyclones (D3)||Occidental Tigers (D3)||Pacific Tigers (D1)|
|Pepperdine Waves (D1)||Point Loma Nazarene Sea Lions (D2)||Pomona-Pitzer Sagehens (D3)|
|Redlands Bulldogs (D3)||Sacramento State Hornets (D1)||Saint Mary’s Gaels (D1)|
|San Diego State Aztecs (D1)||San Diego Toreros (D1)||San Francisco Dons (D1)|
|San Francisco State Gators (D2)||San Jose State Spartans (D1)||Santa Clara Broncos (D1)|
|Sonoma State Seawolves (D2)||Stanford Cardinal (D1)||Stanislaus State Warriors (D2)|
|UC Davis Aggies (D1)||UC Irvine Anteaters (D1)||UC Riverside Highlanders (D1)|
|UC San Diego Tritons (D1)||UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (D1)||UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs (D3)|
|UCLA Bruins (D1)||USC Trojans and Women of Troy (D1)||Whittier Poets (D3)|
Betting Trends For Each California Team
- The Golden State Warriors were given +900 preseason odds to win the 2021-2022 NBA Finals that they would go on to win. Their title odds would eventually lengthen to +1000 before the first round of the playoffs.
- Over Sacramento King’s last 30 games to end the 21-22 season, the over hit in 19 games.
- With equal rest during the 2021-22 season, the Clippers covered the spread in 60% of their games. When they had a rest disadvantage the over hit in 68% of their games.
- In the Lakers’ divisional games during the 21-22 season, the point total went over is 68.8% of their games. That 68.8% over was tied for the highest percentage in the league when teams played divisional opponents.
Betting On The LA Rams During The 2022-2023 NFL Season
The Los Angeles Rams and the Los Angeles Chargers may not be in the same NFL conference, but will still be battling to bring another championship to California. Even though the Rams won Super Bowl 56 with +1200 odds, the two LA teams have almost matching preseasons odds for Super Bowl 57.
Legal sportsbooks have NFL odds for all of the teams in California. There are future wagers available for betting on division titles, conference championship, and the Super Bowl, along with individual moneylines for every single regular season game for all three CA teams.
Betting On The NBA In California
NBA bettors in California have gotten to celebrate a lot after the state’s 10 NBA Finals wins in the past 23 seasons, while also growing accustomed to preseason expectations. The preseason NBA Finals favorite resided in California for five straight seasons as the Warriors in 16/17 at -128, -187 in 17/18, and -168 in 18/19 were followed by the Clippers in 2019/20 at +425, and the Lakers with +275 odds prior to the 2020-2021 season. The California streak may have ended prior to the 2021-2022 NBA season, but the Golden State Warriors took no notice as they would go on to win the NBA finals despite +900 preseason odds.
- The Los Angeles Lakers own 17 NBA Championships. They won their most recent one in 2020 after opening with +450 preseason odds.
- The Golden State Warriors have won three NBA Championships. Their last win came in 2018 with -190 preseason odds. Their first came in 2014 at +2800 preseason odds.
- The Los Angeles Rams won the 2022 Super Bowl against the Cincinnati Bengals with +1200 preseason odds.
- The San Francisco 49ers won five Super Bowls. In 1981 they won their first at +5000 odds. Their last won came in 1994 with +200 odds.
- The Los Angeles Dodgers won the 2020 World Series at +385 preseason odds.
- The Oakland Athletics had +500 preseason odds to win the 1989 World Series.
- The San Francisco Giants won five World Series. Their first won came in 1962 with +500 odds. Their most recent was in 2014 with +1200 preseason odds.
- The LA Kings won two Stanley Cup Championships in 2012 and 2014 with +1600 and +1200 odds.
- The Anaheim Ducks won the 2007 Stanley Cup Finals at +1200 preseason odds.
- The USC Trojans won the college football National Championships in 2004 with +300 odds.
- The UCLA Bruins have won two CBB National Championships in 1975 and 1995 with +180 and +500 odds.
Online Casinos In California
Casino gaming in California is already popular and you now have the option of bypassing the retail locations and accessing online casinos right from the comfort of your own home. Any casino game that you could think of that is at a retail casino can be found right on these online casinos. Those include online slot machine games, live dealer table games, and digital table games as well.
Online California Slot Machines
- Star Slots
- Book Of Helios
- Lucky Liberty
- Tank The Bank
- Savanna King
- A Night With Cleo
California Live Dealer Games
- Super 6
Digital Table Games In California
- Let It Ride
- Tri Card Poker
- Double Blackjack
- Hi Lo
California Online Poker Rooms
Online poker rooms make it very convenient for you to play the game you love in California right from anywhere. The online poker rooms in the state offer the same if not more than the land-based rooms in terms of the number of games that they have to offer. You can choose from big-paying tournaments, cash games, and more. You can even get in on online poker promotions as well when signing up and making a deposit into your account.
Legal California Sports Betting FAQs
Is Online Sports Betting Safe In California?
Online sports betting in California is safe and secure when using the recommended websites found on this page. These sports wagering operators are licensed and regulated to do business in their home countries making them a great alternative for California sports betting players looking to wager safely.
Will Sports Betting In California Ever Be Legal?
Every year, the topic of sports betting legalization in California is discussed by lawmakers, making the industry one that will see a legal future. With each session, the number of advocates for legalized sports betting in California grows which will eventually lead to a legal market in the Golden State. As of 2021 discussions are currently taking place for legal California sports betting.
Will I Get Arrested For Sports Betting In California?
When using internet sportsbooks, there is no risk of being arrested in California for sports betting as they’re legal for residents to join. However, using other sources to gamble, like a neighborhood bookie, could result in legal ramifications for California sports bettors.
Where Is The Best Place To Bet On Sports In California?
Without any state-regulated sports betting, the best place to bet on sports in California is websites like Bovada. These outlets are legal and offer thousands of betting lines daily.
Is It Legal To Bet On Sports With My Friends In California?
Yes, it is completely legal to bet on sports among friends in California.