Last updated on: May 11th, 2023
Kentucky Derby Odds – Betting On The 2023 Kentucky Derby
Legal Kentucky Derby betting sites have been around since the start of the internet. The potential profitability of this Triple Crown race attracts horse bettors and newbies. Other than 2020, the Kentucky Derby has taken place on the first Saturday of May since 1875. Though the race is only two minutes, the amount of money bet on the Kentucky Derby puts it into perspective. Betting on the Kentucky Derby legally and safely is important. Finding a Kentucky Derby betting site offering straight and exotic bets is crucial. Between horse betting apps and online racebooks, you’ll know your preferred way for legal Kentucky Derby betting.
Date: Saturday, May 6, 2023
Location: Churchill Downs – Louisville, KY
Post Time: approx. 6:50pm ET
Distance: 1.25 mi. (10 furlongs)
Purse: $3M 1st place: $2,000,000
Winner: Mage (+1200)
Best Kentucky Derby Racebooks
|Rank||Sportsbook||Bonus Offer||Play Now|
|1||75% Up To $750 Read Review||Visit Bovada!|
|2||50% New Member Bonus!Read Review||Visit BetOnline!|
|3||50% Up To $1,000 Read Review||Visit MyBookie!|
|4||100% Up To $300Read Review||Visit Xbet!|
|5||50% Up To $1,000 Read Review||Visit SportsBetting!|
Best Kentucky Derby Betting Sites
Legal betting sites for the Kentucky Derby are in every state. With the legal sportsbooks having Kentucky Derby odds and sports, it’s all connected. The best site will give you horse betting rebates or match your first deposit. Either way, make sure the best Kentucky Derby betting site for your matches your needs.
The top-rated legal Kentucky Derby betting site is Bovada, with the best American and European betting odds available. Bovada allows players to bet on each race on each horse to win, place, or show from within their racebook and sportsbook. When signing up to bet on the Kentucky Derby at Bovada, players are eligible for up to $750 in rewards when signing up with cryptocurrency or $250 when using a non-crypto deposit method. Those bonuses are especially appealing, as players can clear the 5X rollovers in about the same time frame that it takes the horses to finish the Derby itself!
- Vast Track Selection
- Easy-To-Use Interface
Founded in 2004, BetOnline has a history that is similar to the Kentucky Derby in that it is unlike any other. BetOnline offers odds on more horse racing events than any other online sportsbook or racebook, while also offering better payouts. New players at BetOnline are all eligible for up to $1,000 in bonuses when signing up, with those funds especially useful for players that want to place multiple exactas, trifecta, and superfecta bets on the Derby. BetOnline stands out for its cryptocurrency deposit methods, as the sportsbook is consistently expanding its offering and now accepts over 15 different cryptos.
- Reliable Banking Methods
- Strong Server Connection
- 10+ Year Track Record
- Huge Assortment Of Odds
- No App Mobile Betting
New Kentucky Derby bettors frequently choose to sign up at MyBookie because of their easily accessible racebook and sportsbook sections, both of which offer odds on the most exciting two minutes in sports. Navigating MyBookie’s elite website can be done through its expanding list of odds on the left side of the page or through the tabs at the top, with the racebook and horse racing odds clearly outlined. MyBookie has also established itself as an excellent sportsbook for credit card and debit card bettors, as it accepts MasterCard and Visa deposits up to $2,500.
- Huge Player Bonuses
- Consistent Odds
- Easy Interface
- Rapid Live Betting
- Legal the US
2023 Kentucky Derby Odds
- Current Kentucky Derby Odds
- 1. Hit Show +3000
- 2. Verifying +1800
- 3. Two Phil’s +1200
- 4. Confidence Game +2000
- 5. Tapit Trice +600
- 6. Kingsbarns +1000
- 7. Reincarnate +3500
- 8. Mage +2000
- 9. Skinner +2800
- 10. Practical Move +1000
- 11. Disarm +3300
- 12. Jace’s Road +2500
- 13. Sun Thunder +5000
- 14. Angel Of Empire +900
- 15. Forte +300
- 16. Raise Cain +2500
- 17. Derma Sotogake +1000
- 18. Rocket Can +2500
- 19. Lord Miles +5000
- 20. Continuar +6000
- 21. Cyclone Mischief +5000
- 22. Mandarin Hero +2000
- 23. King Russell +8000
Is It Legal To Bet On The Kentucky Derby?
Yes, and depending on where you live, the avenues to legal Kentucky Derby betting may differ. For states with horse racing betting officially on the books, most residents will have their local horse racing track or online racebooks that operate from within the US. However, there are certain states such as that have neither of these two options. If you happen to fall in that predicament, simply use an online betting site that doubles down as a horse racing betting site. These websites offer all the latest Kentucky Derby odds and are the safest option for placing a wager on the Kentucky Derby.
How To Read Kentucky Derby Odds
There are two main ways that to read Kentucky Derby odds. The Kentucky Derby odds explained is easiest to think of it as American vs Parimutuel.
How to read parimutuel horse race odds: Pari-mutual odds will look like 3-1 or 2-5. The first number represents the profit if betting the second number. Using the first example of 3-1, a $3 profit comes on a $1 bet. For the second example of 2-5, a $5 wager only wins $2.
How to read American odds for horse racing: American odds are what you’d see at a sportsbook. Using the same examples, the two horses would be +300 or -250, respectively. Here, betting $1 wins $3 in profit. The positive number makes it work this way. For -250, a $5 bet still equals $2. Because the number is negative, it’s showing the ratio of what must be bet for a $100 profit.
Kentucky Derby Horse Bet Types
There are two main ways to bet on the Kentucky Derby. The easiest method of betting on the Kentucky Derby is through straight bets, which are wagers on one single horse. Exotic wagers are slightly more complicated, but also offer larger payouts. The most common Kentucky Derby bet types can be seen below.
Win – This is arguably the simplest type of bet. You’re simply selecting which horse will finish in first place. These will pay the highest amount of all the different straight bets.
Place – If the horse you choose finishes in either first place or second place you’d be able to cash in on this bet.
Show – If you choose a horse and it finished in either first, second, or third, you’d have a winning bet. Because this type of bet is easier to hit then the other straight bets, the payouts will be lower.
Across The Board – This is a bit of a combination of all three straight bets. With a bet across the board, if the horse you choose finishes in first then you win all three bets. If your horse gets second place then you’ll win on both the place and show bet. And if your horse gets in third place then you’ll simply win the show bet.
Exacta – In this case, you will be betting on two horses within a single race. If they place in first an second in the exact order you chose them then you’ll win the bet.
Trifecta – This is very similar to the exacta bet except with this you would have to bet on three horses and they would have to place first, second, and third in exact order.
Superfecta – This is only adding to the previous two exotic bets. You’d have to pick four horses and they would have to place first, second, third, and fourth in exact order. This is one of the most profitable wagering types.
Pick 3 – This is simply an addition to the daily double. If you choose a horse and they finish first on three consecutive races then you’d win the bet. You’d have to place the bet before the first race.
Past Kentucky Derby Winners
Past Kentucky Derby winners cement their name into the history of the sport. After their career is over, the horses are sought out for breeding because of their pedigree. Medina Spirit won the 2021 Kentucky Derby but was later DQ’d due to cheating on the part of trainer Bob Baffert.
|2012||I’ll Have Another||+1400|
|2009||Mine That Bird||+4900|
|1994||Go for Gin||+810|
|1992||Lil E. Tee||+1580|
|1991||Strike the Gold||+380|
|1985||Spend a Buck||+310|
|1982||Gato Del Sol||+2020|
How Do Horses Qualify For The 2023 Kentucky Derby?
The Kentucky Derby qualifying events impact the 2023 Kentucky Derby betting odds. Qualifying for the Kentucky Derby comes in three ways.
- Road to the Kentucky Derby
- The Japan Road
- The European Road.
Horses earn points via strong finishes at each race. The top 20 horses in points qualify, with an four more horses also gaining eligibility.
Road to the Kentucky Derby
The Road to the Kentucky Derby consists of 37 races, with those races split into two sub-categories: Kentucky Derby Prep Season Races and the Kentucky Derby Championship Series Races. That division is based on the Championship Series races being worth more points.
Kentucky Derby Prep Season Races
- (12/17/22) Los Alamitos Futurity at Los Alamitos: Practical Move (8-1)
- (12/26/22) Gun Runner at Fair Grounds: Jace’s Road (2-1)
- (01/1/23) Smarty Jones at Oaklawn Park: Victory Formation (3-5)
- (01/1/23) Jerome at Aqueduct: Lugan Knight (7-2)
- (01/8/23) Sham Stakes at Santa Anita: Reincarnate (16-1)
- (01/21/23) Lecomte at Fair Grounds: Instant Coffe (6-5)
- (01/28/23) Southwest at Oaklawn Park: Arabian Knight (2-5)
- (02/4/23) Holy Bull at Gulfstream Park: Rocket Can (5-2)
- (02/4/23) Withers at Aqueduct: Hit Show (6-5)
- (02/4/23) Robert B. Lewis at Santa Anita: Newgate (1-1)
- (02/11/23) Sam F. Davis at Tampa Bay Downs: Litigate (5-2)
- (02/11/23) El Camino Real Derby at Golden Gate Fields: Chase the Chaos (4-1)
Kentucky Derby Championship Series Races
- (02/18/23) Risen Star at Fair Grounds: Angel of Empire (8-1)
- (02/25/23) Rebel Stakes at Oaklawn Park: Confidence Game (15-1)
- (03/4/23) Fountain of Youth at Gulfstream Park: Forte (7-5)
- (03/4/23) Gotham at Aqueduct: Raise Cain (30-1)
- (03/4/23) San Felipe at Santa Anita: Practical Move (4-1)
- (03/11/23) Tampa Bay Derby at Tampa Bay Downs: Tapit Trice (8-5)
- (03/25/23) UAE Derby at Meydan Racecourse: Derma Sotogake (10-1)
- (03/25/23) Louisiana Derby at Fair Grounds: Kingsbarn (6-1)
- (03/25/23) Jeff Ruby Steaks at Turfway Park: Two Phil’s (7-2)
- (03/26/23) Sunland Derby at Sunland Park: Wild on Ice (20-1)
- (04/1/23) Arkansas Derby at Oaklawn Park: Angel of Empire (9-2)
- (04/1/23) Florida Derby at Gulfstream Park: Forte (4-5)
- (04/8/23) Wood Memorial at Aqueduct: Lord Miles (30-1)
- (04/8/23) Blue Grass at Keeneland: Tapit Trice (5-2)
- (04/8/23) Santa Anita Derby at Santa Anita: Practical Move (8-5)
- (04/15/23) Lexington Stakes at Keeneland: First Mission (3-1)
Japan Road To The Kentucky Derby
The Japan Road to the Kentucky Derby was created back in 2017 when it originally included two races. Since then, the total number of races has doubled. The points awarded for each race go up throughout the season, with Cattleya Stakes points being rewarded to the top five horses (10-4-3-2-1). The proceeding races and their points are the Zen-Nippon Nisai Yush (20-8-6-4-2), Hyacinth (30-12-9-6-3), and Fukurya Stakes (40-16-12-8-4). The top points-earning horse is guaranteed a sport at the Kentucky Derby.
Japan Road To The Kentucky Derby Races
- (11/26/22) Cattleya Stakes at Tokyo Racecourse: Continuar (39-10)
- (12/14/22) Zen-Nippon Nisai Yushun at Kawasaki Racecourse: Derma Sotogake (N/A)
- (02/19/23) Hyacinth at Tokyo Racecourse: Perriere (11-10)
- (03/25/23) Fukuryu Stakes at Nakayama: Mitono O (3-2)
European Road To The Kentucky Derby
Held throughout Great Britain, Ireland, and France, the European Road to the Kentucky Derby was established in 2017. The first four races are worth point values of 10-4-3-2-1 for first through fifth place, with the Road to the Kentucky Derby Condition Stakes and the Patton Stakes both worth more (20-8-6-4-2). The Cardinal Condition Stakes is worth the most with a 30-12-9-6-3 points split. The winner based on points on the European Road to the Kentucky Derby is guaranteed qualification for the Kentucky Derby.
European Road To The Kentucky Derby Races
- (09/24/22) Juddmonte Royal Lodge at Newmarket (GB): The Foxes (17-2)
- (09/24/22) Alan Smurfit Memorial Beresford at Curragh (IRE): Crypto Force (15-2)
- (10/2/22) Qatar Prix Jean-Luc Lagardère at Longchamp (FR): Belbek (17-1)
- (10/22/22) Vertem Futurity Trophy at Doncaster (GB): Auguste Rodin (9-4)
- (03/3/23) Patton Stakes at Dundalk (IRE): Cairo (2-5)
- (03/15/23) Road to the Kentucky Derby Condition Stakes at Kempton Park (GB): Brave Emperor (3-1)
- (04/1/23) Cardinal Condition Stakes at Chelmsford City (GB): Bold Act (9-2)