Last updated on: September 13th, 2022
Betting On The XFL
2020 marked the return and the end of Vince McMahon’s Xtreme Football League, known more commonly as the XFL. When the league first launched in 2001, it looked to fill the hole in the market created by the absence of a spring football league. Among many key differences between the original XFL and the 2020 relaunch was the explosion in popularity of sports betting in the United States. With over two dozen states with legal sports betting, and sportsbooks traditionally facing a decrease in wagers after the NFL season ends, there’s a huge legal sports betting market. The coronavirus pandemic brought the XFL’s second iteration to an unexpected halt and forced the league to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy but the league will return in 2023 with a new ownership group, which includes Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson.
Is It Legal To Bet On The XFL?
It is legal to bet on the XFL with both domestic and online sportsbooks. Because of the Wire Act, XFL fans residing in states that have not yet legalized sports betting will not be able to place wagers with domestic books, but can still use offshore books. Be sure to check our comprehensive list of states that legalized sports betting, as well as information about different land-based and offshore sportsbooks. As of right now though, there are no odds on the XFL but that could change soon if they make a return. If and when they return, you will be able to find all of the insight on them here.
While the XFL’s official return date has not yet been set, Bovada is still ready and poised to supply the best odds for XFL betting. Prior to the league shutting down due to COVID-19, Bovada hosted plenty of XFL betting odds during the season. The XFL was a surprise hit and betting fans jumped on the option to continue to bet on football even after the NFL and college football betting seasons ended. Bovada provides betting lines for player props, teams props, season-ending awards, and team futures and once the XFL returns, Bovada will easily become the number one home to betting on the XFL again
- Thousands of Super Bowl bets
- Exclusive player props
- Easy-to-use interface
- Mobile friendly
- Efficient payouts
SportsBetting is a great home for XFL sports bettors. They are host to the most up to date odds and a wide array of betting lines that are sure to increase as the season proceeds. Whether you want to bet on the moneyline, point spread, over/under, or even wish to combine multiple bets into a parlay, SportsBetting has options for you. SportsBetting also has a host of payment and withdrawal options. Whether you are using your debit or credit cards, prepaid gift cards, cryptocurrencies, and even wire transfers, there is a bevy of payment options to suit your needs. Also, every time you deposit funds, you are able to get a 50% matching bonus valued up to $1,000. Simply use promo code BOL1000 and the bonus is yours.
- Efficient Site Layout
- Full Mobile Betting Suite
- Available Customer Service
- Trustworthy Banking Options
- Fast Payout Times
One of the best places for XFL sports betting would be XBet. XBet is has a host of betting lines for every team and game throughout the XFL season that is sure to expand even further as the season persists. There are many wager options and betting lines available for sports bettors to get in on the action. However, you want to play, parlays, over/under, moneyline, or point spread, XBet is a great home for you. XBet also hosts a sign-up bonus for all new first-time bettors. When making an account, simply use the promo code XB100 and they will match your first deposit 100% up to $300. That is free money to use to wager on your favorite XFL team. For XFL betting, XBet is a perfect home.
- Worry-free Legal Betting
- Exclusive Bonus Offers
- Constantly Updated Odds
- Premier User Experience
- Full Mobile + Live Betting
Current XFL Betting Odds
The XFL’s return was very successful, until it wasn’t. COVID-19 forced the league to suspend operations in midseason and eventually the management structure was nearly completely dismantled. With the XFL’s future up in the air, there are currently no XFL betting odds available. As the bidding war for the XFL crystallizes, some prop bets about the XFL’s possible return could pop up, but for now, the betting future of the XFL is stuck in limbo. On the bright side, in just a few weeks of football, the new XFL proved that it can put high quality football on the field, which should help attract more bidding interest.
The XFL Playoffs – How Do They Work?
With the XFL being divided into two separate conferences, the East and West divisions, the four-team conferences would battle it out with one another until there is one representative in each conference that would then go against one another to be crowned the champion. Each team will play 10 games and the top two teams in each division will then face off in a single-elimination style playoff format. The remaining team will be crowned the XFL champion at the conclusion of the season. This will lead to major betting action as single elimination makes the outcome more unpredictable.
The XFL’s divisional tiebreakers are:
- Team record
- Net touchdown differential
- Total points scored
- Record in divisional games
- Strength of victory (win-loss percentage of opponents beaten)
- Point differential
- Coin toss
Betting On The XFL: Online Vs. Land-Based
Like betting on any sporting league, there are options for betting on the XFL at online sportsbooks and at land based sportsbooks. There are legitimate pros and cons to both. Starting with land-based operations, they main benefit is the atmosphere. Most retail sportsbooks are located in casinos, so bettors have the added benefit of betting on the XFL at sportsbooks and participating in casino gambling as well. Land based sportsbooks are also usually combined with hotel suits, so betting on the XFL while on a vacation is its own experience. A drawback with retail sportsbooks, however, is the fact that you have to physically be there. For bettors who simply want to bet XFL games and player props and not indulge in the other bells and whistles of casino resorts, it becomes inconvenient to travel to wager.
Online sportsbooks benefit users by offering XFL betting odds from anywhere. The same odds that would be found at land-based sportsbooks are also found at online and mobile sportsbooks. Additionally, online sportsbooks allow players to shop the lines since they can easily check multiple mobile sportsbooks to find the best XFL odds. The drawback would be the lack of the social interaction and other travel benefits that would be found at a retail sportsbook. Another benefit for mobile sportsbooks is that they are available in every state, while retail betting is not. Many legal licensed betting operations can offer odds and these odds can also be accessed across state lines as these books are not regulated in the US and thus are not affected by the federal Wire Act.
Depositing Into An XFL Betting Account
Your method of depositing money into an XFL betting account will depend on the sportsbook you select. Each book has its own rules about what payment methods will be accepted, minimum and maximum deposits, and promotional deposit bonuses. Land-based books will usually accept all traditional payment options like cash, credit and debit cards, cashier’s checks, wire transfer, and sometimes even e-wallets like PayPal.
Online books (including those based in the U.S.) usually won’t accept physical sportsbook deposit methods like cash or checks because of things like difficult logistics and liability concerns, but many offer the option to deposit using cryptocurrency. Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin are secure, accessible online currencies that can be stored in an e-wallet similar to PayPal. Unlike traditional payment methods, cryptocurrency is completely untraceable. If Bitcoin falls outside your purview, most online books still accept the same non-physical payment methods as land-based ones. Many online sportsbooks also offer promotions to match a certain percentage of your first deposit, which can be a great way to get an early leg up.
How Do I Withdraw Winnings From My XFL Sportsbook?
Withdrawing your winnings works much the same way as depositing money into an XFL betting account. At a physical land-based sportsbook, you simply take a winning ticket to a cashier’s window and then select from available payout options, usually cash or a check. These sportsbooks also usually accept winning tickets via mail (usually for futures bets that aren’t settled until after your trip). Tickets have mail-in instructions printed on the back. Winners may also select either a lump-sum withdrawal, where they collect all the money at once or an annuity, in which they receive monthly payments. For especially large wins, most casinos will require an annuity.
All online sportsbooks have a section of their website dedicated to explaining the various payment options available for both deposits and withdrawals. Like with deposits, every book has different rules regarding withdrawals, including minimum and maximum withdrawals for each payment method, wait times before winners receive their payouts, and the maximum number of withdrawals a customer can make in a given time period. If the payout method is especially logistically demanding—say, a check by courier—books may require that the user pay a flat fee.
Ways To Bet On The XFL
The XFL isn’t quite the behemoth that other major sports leagues are, but it still offers an impressive variety of different ways to bet.
Moneyline XFL Wagers
When you place a moneyline bet, you are simply picking which team you think will win or lose a game. Moneylines offer the simplest wagering experience, which makes them an attractive option for new players. When a sportsbook lists a moneyline, the favored team will have a minus sign in front of its line, while the underdog will have a plus sign. To use an early-season matchup as an example, a moneyline might look something like this:
- D.C. Defenders -180
- Seattle Dragons +145
These numbers are based on a universal standard wager of $100. The moneyline on the favorite indicates the required bet to earn a $100 payout, while the moneyline on the underdog indicates the payout on a $100 bet. In this case, a $180 bet on the Defenders would pay out $100 if they won, whereas a $100 bet on the Dragons would pay out $145 if they won.
Betting The XFL Spread
Bets against the spread are bets not on who will win a given game, but what the final point differential will be. These bets are very popular because they offer relatively even odds for both teams. The spread will always be listed as a number representing the number of points the favored team is expected to win by. If you bet on the favored team to cover the spread, they have to not only win but win by more points than the spread. If you bet on the underdog, they only have to lose by fewer points than the spread. To use the aforementioned week one matchup as an example, the spread might be listed like this:
- D.C. Defenders -6.5 (-110)
- Seattle Dragons +6.5 (-110)
In other words, D.C. is projected to win the game by 6.5 points. If D.C. wins by 7 or more points, they are considered to have covered the spread. If they win by 6 points or fewer, or lose outright, Seattle will have covered the spread. The numbers next to the spread indicate payouts similar to the moneyline bets mentioned above.
Futures bets are fairly self-explanatory. They are bets on an outcome in the far future. For instance, you can currently place futures bets on who will win the 2020 XFL Championship. In more established leagues like the NFL, you can place more diverse futures bets on things like who will win the MVP award in the upcoming season or who will lead the league in various statistical categories. Because the information used to set futures odds is limited relative to in-season odds, the maximum amount of money you can place on future lines is limited.
Building XFL Game Parlays
Parlays are the riskiest type of bet, but also potentially the most rewarding. A parlay essentially combines multiple bets onto one ticket. All of those bets have to win for the ticket to payout, but the payout also scales to the odds of all of those bets winning. In other words, if you parlay twelve different bets and win on all of them, you might turn a $10 bet into $10,000 in winnings. But if you only win on eleven of twelve bets, you won’t get anything. Bettors can combine bets of different categories (e.g., NBA, college basketball, horse racing) onto one ticket, so parlays are a good option for people with expertise in a variety of sports.
Live And Mobile Betting On The XFL
The XFL is expected to offer the same live betting opportunities as other leagues. This will initially include things like live spread, moneyline and over/under bets for both individual halves and full games, and could eventually expand to include more niche offerings as the league grows in popularity. Growth might seem a shaky proposition to some because of the failure of 2018’s Alliance of American Football (AAF), but the XFL seems to stand on a more solid foundation after signing a joint TV deal with FOX and ABC.
The availability of mobile betting will largely depend on which state you live in and what sportsbooks you frequent. Some states, like New York, offer sports betting but do not yet allow mobile betting. Others, like New Jersey, offer a variety of popular sports betting mobile apps for betting on the XFL. If you want to place mobile bets with an online sportsbook, you can do so. Sportsbooks like Bovada and BetOnline offer fantastic, optimized mobile sites that allow bettors to place wagers from anywhere.
Where To Bet on The XFL
There are currently more than two dozen states with legal sports betting and the market continues to grow at a steady pace. XFL betting fans will find odds at multiple online sportsbooks as well as regulated retail sportsbooks. When the XFL ultimately returns, many new markets will offering odds that hadn’t before.
- Nevada: The sports betting capital of the world surely has plenty of areas. Las Vegas and Paradise have a few dozen legal XFL sportsbooks just in that area alone. Dozens of other casinos flood the state as well.
- New Jersey: With double-digit sports betting locations in New Jersey, betting on the XFL is made easy. Cities like Atlantic City, East Rutherford, and Oceanport hold the majority of the sportsbooks in the state.
- North Carolina: New Carolina has added sports betting to its legislation and the local sportsbooks will accept XFL odds. NC is also working to launch mobile betting as well which will also be hosting XFL odds.
- Pennsylvania: There are plenty of XFL betting options for Pennsylvania residents and tourists. Not only is the western border covered with Pittsburgh having sportsbooks taking XFL action, but the eastern part of the state hosts a handful of sportsbook lounges. Philadelphia may become of the biggest hubs for XFL betting in the nation.
- Mississippi: Mississippi is flooded with casinos. All along the Gulf of Mexico from Biloxi and D’Iberville to Bay St. Louis, there will be upward of a dozen or more XFL betting locations. Even up the Mississippi River to Tunica, sportsbooks will take XFL bets in Mississippi. Locations can also be found at the tribal casinos of the state.
- Indiana: Indiana has over a dozen land-based sports betting lounges that take XFL bets. These casinos are spread all over the country fairly evenly. The corners of the state and outskirts of Indianapolis host sportsbooks so finding one in this area shouldn’t be hard.
- Iowa: Surprisingly one of the larger sports betting states, Iowa has nearly two-dozen casinos that will accept a wager. Betting on the XFL in Iowa never comes with any worry, as casinos along the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers feature XFL betting odds. Also, those in the middle of the state near I-35 can visit a local betting shop.
- New York: Between the four upstate commercial casinos and the handful of tribal casinos legally accepting XFL bets, the options are reserved to strictly land-based betting in New York. Cities like Buffalo and Schenectady are solid choices for New York XFL betting but some of the tribal casinos have the best sports betting lounges around.
- West Virginia: XFL sports betting can be submitted in West Virginia at any of the five sports betting racinos. They are spread thin throughout the state but bettors won’t have any issues placing their action.
- Oregon: Tribal casinos are the only land-based options in Oregon and Chinook Winds Resort is the best place to bet on the XFL. This may be a hassle to visit, as it isn’t near any of the largest cities in Oregon.
- New Hampshire: Still working out their land-based launches, New Hampshire only has online betting on the XFL.
- Rhode Island: Two locations in Rhode Island accept action on the XFL. Both the Twin River Casinos in Tiverton and Lincoln hosts XFL sportsbooks. These are the only land-based betting options in the smallest state of the country.
- Arkansas: With three locations currently accepting sports wagers in Arkansas, the state’s residents must do some traveling. West Memphis is an easy trip for those on the eastern part of the state but XFL bettors will have to drive away to find the other Arkansas sportsbooks.
- Delaware: Because of the east traveling and shape of Delaware, residents aren’t too far from finding solid options. Three casinos in Delaware offer XFL betting lines and two of those can be found in the heartlands of Wilmington and Dover.
- New Mexico: Only tribal casinos have been authorized to accept legal XFL bets. New Mexico has plenty of casinos but only a few are launched and taking football betting action. Albuquerque and Santa Fe both have locations though.
- Michigan: Two retail casinos in Detroit have opened and begun accepting XFL bets, with a third expected to follow suit within a week. Tribal casinos could also begin opening sportsbooks over the next several months.
- Illinois: Three casinos were pre-licensed to accept sports bets, including XFL bets. The Rivers Casino in Des Plaines, the Grand Victoria Casino in Elgin, and the Argosy Casino in Alton are all slated to open in mid-March.
- Tennessee: Tennessee is a mobile-only betting market and local online sportsbooks will be offering XFL odds when the league returns. Sports betting fans can find odds for all XFL teams at these operations.
- Washington: The local sportsbooks in Washington state do indeed offer betting odds for XFL games.
- Washington DC: Betting on the XFL in DC is easy as there are a few options for wagering. Online sportsbooks are available but only one operation is city-wide; that being GameBetDC. The other online sportsbooks are only accessible within a radius of the physical sportsbook.
- Virginia: Both mobile and retail sportsbooks offer XFL betting odds in Virginia. Mobile betting is statewide so there will be any time anywhere betting available.
XFL Rule Changes
While the rules are largely the same as what you would see in an NFL game, there are a few key differences.
In the XFL, kickers kick off from their own 30-yard line rather than the 35, and the coverage team lines up on the opposing 35, five yards away from the return team. The coverage team can only move once the returner touches the ball, or after the ball has been on the ground for at least three seconds. Additionally, there are varying degrees of touchbacks designed to encourage more return attempts.
The XFL does away with placekicking PATs entirely. Instead of the traditional extra point, offenses line up on the 1-yard line for an extra point. 2-point attempts are placed on the 5-yard line, and there is additionally a 3-point attempt available from the 10-yard line. This rule is designed to introduce more scoring variance and interesting late-game comeback situations. The impact of these scoring rule differences can be seen in the spread of XFL matchups. Because extra points are far from a sure thing and there are more options for PAT attempts, XFL lines won’t be as heavily weighted toward traditionally linear football scoring differences (i.e., 3, 7, 10, 14).
Punting in the XFL is designed to strongly favor the return team, which the league hopes will disincentivize conservative play calling. Players in punt coverage cannot leave the line of scrimmage until the ball is kicked, which allows for more opportunities to return punts. Punts that bounce into the endzone or out-of-bounds in the field of play are both moved up to the return team’s 35-yard line. The league believes this will encourage more fourth-down conversion attempts.
Double Forward Pass
To eliminate the clunkiness of the NFL’s requirement that the first pass of a double pass play must be backward, the XFL permits a second pass as long as the first is caught behind the line of scrimmage. This minor rule change encourages more innovative play design and should eliminate lengthy replay reviews.
Probably the least popular of the XFL’s rule changes, the league’s new overtime format is similar to a penalty shootout in soccer. Teams alternate one-play drives from the 5-yard line. This goes on for five rounds (five attempts per side), and whichever team converts more attempts wins the game. If both teams are tied after five rounds, overtime continues in a sudden-death format (i.e., keep playing more rounds until one team scores and the other doesn’t).
The XFL aims to increase the pace of play and create more opportunities for excitement. Consequently, the league reduced the NFL’s 40-second play clock to 25 seconds. Additionally, on incompletions or plays out-of-bounds, the clock only stops until the ball is spotted. The last two minutes of each half are deemed “comeback periods”. During these periods, plays that end in the field of play will stop the clock until the ball is spotted and five seconds run off the clock. Plays that end out-of-bounds and incompletions still stop the clock as normal. The league hopes that this will lead to more exciting finishes and comebacks.
XFL Betting FAQs
Are XFL betting odds available in most sportsbooks?
Unfortunately, XFL sports betting is only available in 14 states, with just nine of those states offering regulated online and mobile sports betting. The XFL is still very new, and with time and exposure, the XFL will eventually become popular enough to be readily available in more states. For those out of the state-licensed states, online sportsbooks allow for XFL sports betting no matter where you are.
Do a lot of sports bettor’s bet on the XFL?
So far, the XFL has exceeded expectations at major sportsbooks. This bodes well for the future of sports betting on the XFL. Many sports bettors are playing bets every week and as the season progresses, that is sure to increase. There should be no shortage of odds and betting lines for sports bettors to benefit from.
Do sportsbooks offer XFL bonuses?
With the popularity of the XFL, sportsbooks host multiple promotions surrounding the league. Many sportsbooks will give sing on bonuses and match bonuses for sports bettors who wager on XFL games. If you are a first-time sports bettor and want to begin betting on XFL games, bonuses are a great reason to sign up and start getting in on the action.
Should I bet the favorite in the XFL?
Because the newness of the league, sportsbooks and oddsmakers for the XFL have not been able to gauge the gameplay. With this, taking a chance on the underdog is actually a better result. There have been multiple XFL teams this season to win games with odds of +200 (and even +300). Like the league, take a chance.