- Sanguk Oh is the +150 betting favorite to win the men’s sabre event.
- Gergely Siklosi has +400 odds to win the men’s epee event.
- Romania’s Ana Maria Popescu is favored in the women’s epee category.
- Inna Deriglazova has -110 odds as an overwhelming favorite in women’s foil.
TOKYO – Four gold medalists be rewarded in the Olympic fencing evens of men’s sabre, men’s epee, women’s foil and women’s epee over the weekend. But is there betting value before fencing begins?
Saturdays Events: Men’s Sabre/Women’s Epee
The men’s sabre event is projected to be dominated by Sanguk Oh from South Korea. It will be his first appearance in the Olympics, but at age 24 he has already amassed multiple world championships and is the No. 1 ranked fencer in the world.
The guy has been nearly untouchable over the last few years and is well-deserving of his odds as the favorite on legal sports betting sites.
Tokyo 2021 – Men’s Sabre
- Sanguk Oh (KOR) +150
- Aron Szilagyi (HUN) +500
- Eli Dershwitz (USA) +750
- Luca Curatoli (ITA) +900
The women’s epee is projected to be slightly more competitive as the favorite has +350 odds. Ana Maria Popescu holds the No. 1 spot in the world ranking and the odds more or less match the world rankings from top to bottom.
Tokyo 2021 – Women’s Epee
- Ana Maria Popescu (ROM) +350
- Injeong Choi (KOR) +700
- Yiwen Sun (CHN) +800
- Nathalie Moellhausen (BRA) +900
- Vivian Man Wai Kong (HKG) +900
- Mara Navarria (ITA) +1200
- Young Mi Kang (KOR) +1200
Anyone betting on the Olympics should think about betting on a couple of the top options as the odds allow a profit to be made even when using multiple athletes.
Sunday’s Events: Men’s Epee/Women’s Foil
The men’s epee event is arguably the most competitive of all the individual fencing events.
Gergely Siklosi is listed as the option with the shortest odds, but there are multiple athletes right behind him. This could be another spot where bettors are best off putting their faith in multiple of the competitors.
Tokyo 2021 – Men’s Epee
- Gergely Siklosi (HUN) +400
- Igor Reizlin (UKR) +600
- Sergey Bida (RUS) +600
- Yannick Borel (FRA) +600
- Sangyoung Park (KOR) +1000
- Andrea Santarelli (ITA) +1200
- Masaru Yamada (JPN) +1200
- Alexandre Bardenet (FRA) +1400
- Bas Verwijlen (NED) +1400
- Bogdan Nikishin (UKR) +1400
- Ruben Limardo Gascon (VEN) +1400
This event could go in many different ways as the top athletes may take each other out in early rounds as it is a single-elimination tournament. This event seems to be a shot in the dark, leaving the door open for a long shot to cash a big ticket.
However, sports betting sites are much more convinced in who will win the women’s foil event as it is the only fencing event of the weekend with a favorite with odds short of EVEN.
Tokyo 2021 – Women’s Foil
- Inna Deriglazova (ROC) -110
- Alice Volpi (ITA) +700
- Ysaora Thibus (FRA) +850
- Lee Kiefer (USA) +900
- Arianna Errigo (ITA) +1200
- Adelina Zagidullina (ROC) +1600
Inna Deriglazova is the reigning gold medalist from 2016 and is projected to have a similar result as the biggest fencing favorite of the weekend. Betting against Deriglazova is going to be risky as she has women multiple world championships since the 2016 Olympics.
Nick is a sports writer and die-hard sports fan. He graduated from Penn State University with a degree in Broadcast/Journalism. In his free time, he enjoys kicking back and relaxing with a good video game.