Arthur Ashe Stadium

  • Novak Djokovic, Simona Halep, and Nicholas Kyrgios have all voiced concerns over the US Open as they do not feel safe traveling to the USA.
  • A combination of the strict rules set due to COVID-19, the outbreak in the US being worse than any other country, and the protest in the streets worry players.
  • The United States Tennis Association is still confident in hosting a safe US Open despite the players speaking out against it.
  • On the med’s side, Nova Djokovic (+150) has the shortest odds to win the US Open.
  • Serena Williams is the favorite (+600 odds) to take the title on the ladies’ side.

MAMARONECK, N.Y. – The US Open is scheduled for August 24 and many top-ranking ATP and WTA players have voiced their concerns with traveling to the States under the current conditions.

For starters, since the coronavirus outbreak has affected the US more than any other country so far, there are strict rules in place to keep tennis players safe – rules that many players do not feel comfortable being forced to abide by.

Add that to the growing new cases of coronavirus, and the current protests in the streets of America, players like Novak Djokovic, Simona Halep, and Nicholas Kyrgios would rather the event be canceled altogether.

Players Against US Open

The chances of the US Open being canceled right now seem slim, so tennis bettors can rest easy.

Currently, World Number one Novak Djokovic has the shortest at +150 to win the Men’s US Open 2020.

Men’s US Open 2020

  • Novak Djokovic +150
  • Rafael Nadal +350
  • Roger Federer +600
  • Daniil Medvedev +900
  • Dominic Thiem +1200

For the women, Serena Williams has the shortest odds at +600 to win the Women’s US Open 2020.

Women’s US Open 2020

  • Serena Williams +600
  • Bianca Andresscu +650
  • Ashleigh Barty +900
  • Naomi Osaka +1000
  • Simona Halep +1000

The concerns for the US Open began to hit major publications when Nicholas Kyrgios took to Twitter to ask the big three (Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, and Novak Djokovic) if they were ok with the US Opening continuing under the circumstances.

Kyrgios also criticized the ATP, calling them selfish for allowing the US Open to continue with everything going on in the country.

“The ATP is trying to make the US Open go ahead,” said Kyrgios. “Selfish with everything going on at the moment. Obviously COVID, but also with the riots, together we need to overcome these challenges before tennis returns in my opinion.”

Kyrgios is not alone in these feelings.

Just a few moments following, World Number 2 Simona Halep emailed the New York Times, expressing her concerns with traveling to the US under the circumstances.

“I definitely have strong concerns about going there with those conditions,” said Halep via email. “Not only because we’re in the middle of a global pandemic. But also because of the risk of travel, potential quarantine, and then the changes around the tournament.”

Although organizers have not made any statement regarding possibly canceling the US Open, these vocal concerns from tennis’s biggest players may lead to some changes being made.

For now, tennis bettors can continue to wager on the US Open and any other tennis match at legal betting sites.

News tags: | | | | | |