- According to a report released by the American Gaming Association, an estimated 31.4 million Americans will bet on Super Bowl LVI in some way.
- The report also predicts a $7.61 billion Super Bowl betting handle – a 78% increase from last year – with 55% of bettors expected to lay action on the Los Angeles Rams.
LAS VEGAS – Super Bowl LVI is shaping up to be the most-bet Super Bowl on record, with data from the American Gaming Association showing that 31.4 million Americans plan to bet on this year’s Super Bowl, a 35% increase from last year.
AGA Report Shows Huge Projected Increases In Super Bowl Betting
According to the data the over 30 million Americans that plan to bet on the Super Bowl will lay an estimated $7.61 billion in wagers, which is up significantly – 78% – from last year.
The Super Bowl LVI total betting handle is projected to surpass last year’s by an estimated $3.33 billion.
Looking further at the data provided by the American Gaming Association, all types of sports wagering are expected to see notable increases.
An estimated 18.2 million Americans will place a traditional sports wager – that is, using an online sportsbook, a retail sportsbook, or a bookie, which is up 78% from last year’s Super Bowl.
Another 18.5 million Americans are expected to participate in casual bets between friends, a sports betting pool, or a Super Bowl squares contest.
Of those surveyed, 76% of respondents said that placing their Super Bowl wagers at a legal sports betting operator was “important” to them, an 11% increase compared to 2021.
According to the American Gaming Association, action will be split fairly evenly on Super Bowl LVI. 55% of those who plan to bet on the big game will lay their action on the Los Angeles Rams, with the remaining 45% going with the Cincinnati Bengals, according to the data.
Increased Availability Of Regulated Sportsbooks A Major Factor
The increase in bettors for this Super Bowl is likely a direct result of the proliferation of regulated sports betting across the United States. Compared to last year’s Super Bowl, an additional 45 million Americans can bet on sports at state-run operations.
Among the states to launch legal sports betting since last year’s Super Bowl were Arizona, Connecticut, Louisiana, Maryland, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
This increase in those who can now bet on sports at local books is likely the primary reason for such remarkable projected increases in sports betting on the Super Bowl. Though an increase in advertising and media attention may have factored in as well.
In order to provide you with the best independent sports betting news and content LegalSportsBetting.com may receive a commission from partners when you make a purchase through a link on our site.
News tags: American Gaming Association | Arizona | Cincinnati Bengals | Connecticut | HaveAGamePlan.org | Los Angeles Rams | Louisiana | Maryland | North Carolina | North Dakota | South Dakota | Super Bowl LVI | Washington | Wisconsin | Wyoming
Jerad has been a welcomed addition to the LegalSportsBetting.com writing team. Covering topics regarding the expansion of sports betting in the US, Jerad focuses on legislative efforts, bill signings and other methods for sports betting legalization. Finishing his education as a college baseball player, Jerad has first-hand knowledge of competitive sports, paired with years of personal sports betting as well. As a political science major at the University of Central Florida, Jerad covers the political, legal, and legislative aspects of sports gambling without any issues.